Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 92

Thread: Comparing DAW Mixers

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246
    Keep raising those hands. I'll use as many as possible. I'm editing the song now, down from the 5 minute original to under 3:00 so the files will fit onto a single CD. I will have a very specific list of do's and don'ts so that everything can be done right the first time. For now, let's keep it to this list and others outside that I recruit, so I can keep it manageable.

    I'll recruit others as necessary.

    I suppose everyone that submits a file should include their hardware and software configurations since there will no doubt be questions.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14
    Originally posted by 3D Audio Inc.:
    <STRONG>Keep raising those hands. I'll use as many as possible. I'm editing the song now, down from the 5 minute original to under 3:00 so the files will fit onto a single CD. I will have a very specific list of do's and don'ts so that everything can be done right the first time. For now, let's keep it to this list and others outside that I recruit, so I can keep it manageable.

    I'll recruit others as necessary.

    I suppose everyone that submits a file should include their hardware and software configurations since there will no doubt be questions.</STRONG>
    If you've already got Paris covered (BT?), I could do one in Samplitude V7x.

    Best - Don

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246
    Originally posted by dmorrell:
    <STRONG>

    If you've already got Paris covered (BT?), I could do one in Samplitude V7x.
    </STRONG>
    I've talked with him before about this project and he was open to helping. I don't know what his schedule is like these days though. I'll check.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    San Rafael, CA
    Posts
    118
    I'm sure Lynn will flesh out all the details, but these questions come to mind:

    What were the tracks recorded to originally? I'll assume into a DAW, but which one?

    Was any processing be applied on the way into the recorder?

    Did the tracks go through a console or from outboard preamps, and straight to the recorder?

    I expect the differences, or lack of differences, will not be affected by several of the answers to those questions, but the details are important. The effects of summing will either be discernible or they won't. That's my guess, and I'm very interested in having a listen to this project.

    [ February 14, 2003: Message edited by: Jackson Burks ]
    Jackson Burks
    Cauldron Audio
    San Rafael, CA

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246
    Originally posted by Jackson Burks:
    <STRONG>I'm sure Lynn will flesh out all the details, but these questions come to mind:

    What were the tracks recorded to originally? I'll assume into a DAW, but which one?

    Was any processing be applied on the way into the recorder?

    Did the tracks go through a console or from outboard preamps, and straight to the recorder?

    I expect the differences, or lack of differences, will not be affected by several of the answers to those questions, but the details are important. The effects of summing will either be discernible or they won't. That's my guess, and I'm very interested in having a listen to this project.
    </STRONG>
    I'm wide open to questions, but for the results of this test to be meaningful, none of the ones you asked above are significant. The most important factor is that each platform is summing exactly the same signals regardless of what, where, how or why they were recorded. Be it solo cello or thrash band, if the differences are evident, they should be evident regardless of the source material.

    I recently sent a set of discs to someone who wanted to hear some PT mixes vs. non PT mixes. They responded "well this is not the right kind of music to be able to tell a difference."

    Huh?

    Either it sounds that way or it doesn't. Either the summing is identical or it isn't. The multiplier in the summing doesn't care whether it's violin or bass or solo voice or snare. Or it shouldn't.

    Just so you'll know though, the tracks were NOT recorded for the purpose of a comparison CD. They were recorded here in Nashville, with studio players and studio singers. They were tracked through Neve V series to RADAR II at 24/48. They were cut with whatever processing was required to make them sound good. I can tell you what details I remember, but that again is immaterial for this test.

    If anyone wants to hear the musical selection, which includes rhythm section, B-3, percussion, brass and 18-voice choir, then email me at 3daudio@comcast.net (put MP3 in the subject line) and I wiil email a 56K MP3 to you. I think the recording is good and should be an adequate source for test material. It's 3:30 minutes long and will consist of fewer than 24 tracks.

    By agreement with the artist, the files that go out will not include the lead vocal. So it will be the backing track only.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  6. #16
    Haigbabe's Avatar
    Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,714
    Lynn,

    If nobody near you offers, I will be happy to run them through CoolEditPro. (V1.2 and 2)

    It's not my DAW of choice but I do use it as a quick and snappy stereo editor for topping and tailing. Several questions have come up in the past as to its summing abilities in multi-tracking. Just let me know if I can help.

    Best regards,

    Haigbabe
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246
    Originally posted by Haigbabe:
    <STRONG>Lynn,

    If nobody near you offers, I will be happy to run them through CoolEditPro. (V1.2 and 2)

    It's not my DAW of choice but I do use it as a quick and snappy stereo editor for topping and tailing. Several questions have come up in the past as to its summing abilities in multi-tracking. Just let me know if I can help.
    </STRONG>
    If it handles 24/48 files in .wav format, then bring it on.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246
    I should also mention that it IS a gospel song and anyone who will be offended by that aspect need not apply.

    Anyone with criticism of the production or the mix will have to take that up with the producer or the artist, who are both extremely happy.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    184
    I'd be fascinated and willing to do something with samplitude Lynn!

    Richard

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246
    Know that everyone who contributes a mix will get the CD of the final mixes for free. And I plan on making the mixable multitrack files available after the initial testing phase is done. So people can do tests on their own systems and compare their results.

    I am curious as to the results, but know that I don't have the time or funds to make this a purely philanthropic gesture. The CDs of the results and the multitrack files will be available for a price.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mixtravaganza III mixers
    By Logan Murray in forum The Old Yellow Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 12:58 PM
  2. Shure AMS Mixers and Mics
    By Wire in forum 3D Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 05:13 AM
  3. list of mixers
    By Logan Murray in forum 3dB Mixtravaganza Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 01:38 PM
  4. signed up mixers
    By Logan Murray in forum 3dB Mixtravaganza Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2003, 02:24 PM
  5. Calling all mixers
    By Logan Murray in forum 3dB Mixtravaganza Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-25-2003, 03:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •