Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Comparing DAW Mixers

I need email addresses from the following people.

Hiagbabe
    Robin Schmidt
    Scraggs
    Richard

Please email me at 3daudio@comcast.net.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I've been so busy I just had time to look at this, I haven't received a password or anything so am I supposed to do something or has Nuendo /cubase been covered? If I'm not that wouldn't break my heart as everything is crazy here at the moment and I have no time, but if I'm supposed to, somebody needs to let me know. Take care Logan

Originally posted by Logan Murray:
    <STRONG>I've been so busy I just had time to look at this, I haven't received a password or anything so am I supposed to do something or has Nuendo /cubase been covered? If I'm not that wouldn't break my heart as everything is crazy here at the moment and I have no time, but if I'm supposed to, somebody needs to let me know. Take care Logan</STRONG>
    The notices went out on Sunday. Yours went to your hotmail account. I signed you up for Cubase but have others that can easily handle it. I will arrange for someone else to cover it.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

hey lyn you want me to do it with cool edit pro? im a "pro" (yuck yuck) with this program and it is pretty widely used.

Originally posted by 3D Audio Inc.:
    <STRONG>

The notices went out on Sunday. Yours went to your hotmail account. I signed you up for Cubase but have others that can easily handle it. I will arrange for someone else to cover it.</STRONG>
    Lynn I've checked hotmail everyday and it must have gone astray. Yesterday I did get a reply from someone replying to a bunch of folks about this test, I assume, it was a little cryptic. Anyway it would be great if you could find another person to do Cubase as I am really over burdened at the moment, and need to get started on the mixtravaganza stuff. Thanks, take care Logan

Originally posted by ddeez:
    <STRONG>hey lyn you want me to do it with cool edit pro? im a "pro" (yuck yuck) with this program and it is pretty widely used.</STRONG>
    Thanks, but someone else had previously volunteered.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Lynn, I'm not sure if you still needed a DP3.11 volunteer/victim, or if someone else has already covered it. Either way is fine. I also don't know if you have a current e-mail for me in my profile, but you can try MTHoddyNOSPAM@aol.com . Removing the "NOSPAM" from the address of course.

I stumbled on to this thread in the Nuendo Forum.

I build project studios for a living. I am currently downloading Samplitude 7 for a client and would be happy to volunteer that DAW or *possibly* any others that have not been accounted for.

Please let me know! I would really like to help make this test as well-rounded and accurate as possible.

Good Luck!
    What is that a .38?

.38, .39, Whatever it takes!

Originally posted by 3D Audio Inc.:
    <STRONG>

I recently sent a set of discs to someone who wanted to hear some PT mixes vs. non PT mixes. They responded "well this is not the right kind of music to be able to tell a difference."

Huh?

Either it sounds that way or it doesn't. Either the summing is identical or it isn't. The multiplier in the summing doesn't care whether it's violin or bass or solo voice or snare. Or it shouldn't.
    </STRONG>
    Whoa there. I assume you were talking about me here, and your assessment of what I said is incorrect.

First of all, I totally agree with your statement that the multiplier in the summing doesn't care what the source is. I've also said many times that I don't believe it's the actual "summing multiplier" that accounts for the differences between DAW's. I'm very curious about the results of this test, because quite frankly I'd be very surprised if it produced any audible differences, no matter what the source is.

What I did say was that despite that, I still think there are sonic issues with PT mixes - but that I don't think they are related to the actual "summing bus." It's much more likely to me that it's related to how it handles DSP, and the piling on of lots of plugins, gain changes and the like. And yes, the type of music DOES come into play there. A classical recording done with only a few ambient mics is going to be far less affected than a rock or pop recording with 40+ tracks and plugins on all of them. Also, some frequencies are more affected than others - instruments in the extreme high and extreme low end of the spectrum seem far more affected than those in the middle. Same thing goes for dynamic range - instruments with a lot of transients, or loud instruments that are close miked, seem to be more problematic than ambient miked instruments with not so much dynamic range.

These are just my observations, I'm not trying to pass them off as scientific fact. But, as I've said before, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to devise an objective test once you start introducing plugins, lots of fader moves and other mixing tricks. Yet, in the real world, people do use plugins and lots of DSP - and yes, in some types of music more than others. A classical recordist is far less likely to use as much of that stuff than a rock band, thus, folks who record classical and similar material are more likely to be satisfied with the quality of PT mixes, and one is less likely to hear the differences between PT and other platforms, on that type of material.

So even if actual summing proves to be identical between DAW platforms, that isn't the end of the story. That was my point.

Anyway, even so I did hear differences in the CD's you sent me and offer up an opinion as to which was the PT mix and which wasn't. You never told me whether I was correct or not.

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Lee Flier ]

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Lee Flier ]
    What The...?
    http://www.what-the.com

It's interesting to note, that on the DUC, there are PT HD users that are saying that at this point the Mixbuss of the new PT's is "adequate". And most are still opting to use external bussing systems.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast