Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Comparing DAW Mixers

Originally posted by Lee Flier:
    <STRONG>These are just my observations, I'm not trying to pass them off as scientific fact. But, as I've said before, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to devise an objective test once you start introducing plugins, lots of fader moves and other mixing tricks. Yet, in the real world, people do use plugins and lots of DSP - and yes, in some types of music more than others. A classical recordist is far less likely to use as much of that stuff than a rock band.

So even if actual summing proves to be identical between DAW platforms, that isn't the end of the story. That was my point.
    </STRONG>
    We may only be able to prove that identical results are capable on all platforms. But that would be more than we knew a month ago. But it still won't tell us why some platforms do what they do.

I was listening to someone mixing in Paris just yesterday and they showed me how much abuse it can take gracefully, and I was shocked at what it can do. It defies logic.

BTW, Lee, I will respond to your comments in your email. I've just been incredibly busy.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Originally posted by Henchman:
    <STRONG>It's interesting to note, that on the DUC, there are PT HD users that are saying that at this point the Mixbuss of the new PT's is "adequate". And most are still opting to use external bussing systems.</STRONG>
    There will be a PT6 mix next to a PT5, Mix+ next to HD, TDM next to native, and LE as well. We'll see who can hear them apart. I don't know if I will be able to or not.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Originally posted by 3D Audio Inc.:
    <STRONG>
    We may only be able to prove that identical results are capable on all platforms. But that would be more than we knew a month ago. </STRONG>
    Oh yeah, definitely! I am not discounting your test at all!

<STRONG>
    But it still won't tell us why some platforms do what they do. </STRONG>
    Right, and I hope we can do more testing, to figure that out.

<STRONG>
    I was listening to someone mixing in Paris just yesterday and they showed me how much abuse it can take gracefully, and I was shocked at what it can do. It defies logic. </STRONG>
    Yes, I've always been a BIG fan of anything I've heard mixed in Paris (assuming a good engineer of course), even if it is a pop production with a gajillion tracks/plugins. There's no WAY PT deals with this the same way Paris does, and I would love to know why.

Let me know if you want me to participate in this test with my AW4416, or any others in the future. I also have access to a PTHD rig if you need any help with that for future tests.

<STRONG>
    BTW, Lee, I will respond to your comments in your email. I've just been incredibly busy.</STRONG>
    No problem!
    What The...?
    http://www.what-the.com

<STRONG>

There will be a PT6 mix next to a PT5, Mix+ next to HD, TDM next to native, and LE as well. We'll see who can hear them apart. I don't know if I will be able to or not.</STRONG>
    I know that I am way late on this, as the resulting CD is already out. But how did you document these mixes?? Are they all ITB mixes, or were they going to an external bus??

<STRONG>We're going to get an answer to this issue once and for all.[ February 14, 2003: Message edited by: 3D Audio Inc. </STRONG>
    So, what was our consensus??? did we get an answer once and for all, or are we basically where we started??

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
    Lynn,

I don't know how this has progressed so far, but I do have Sequoia 8 (Which I believe has the same engine as Samplitude) and the new verion of SAWStudio (3.9).

Bill
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

i could do a yamaha aw4416 if interested...which is supposed to be a smaller form of an 02R....

i also have cubase, cubase le, sonar, and even audacity...

let me know.

hi my name is Manuel and i'am studying sound engineering, this is my last year and i have to do a research in order to finish my studies.
    I choosed the summing engine subject and looking for some information about this, i just found this interesting topic in this forum.
    Well I have read all the post and this gave my really good ideas of how I going to do my test, but i have a question, Where can I have the results of your investigation in order to compare with mine? so we can know the evolution of the algorithms in the last years.

Other thing , can i have the methodolgy used for this test? so i can make sure that i'm not doing something wrong with mine?.

Well thanks you all and plis forgive my english

Quote Originally Posted by berk13 View Post
    Where can I have the results of your investigation in order to compare with mine?
    It's available as download.

best regards
    Andreas Lassak
    SoundDesign Studio

It's maddening: As soon as I make it right - it suddenly works!

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Lassak View Post
    It's available as download.

best regards
    thanks

I just load the link that you gave me, do i Have to pay for the samples or they are free now? and are they still available because this forum is from 2001 do I just want to make sure that if I pay I'm going to get the CD or the samples.

Thanks

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast