Thread: Here's another...

Here's another...

Here is another tune that I am producing. The special part of this song is that it was done completely with VSTi's. I haven't recorded the vocals yet - here is the track (done in Nuendo).
    http://asystems.no-ip.com/soundscape/AtaEchad.mp3

Piano - The Grand
    Drums - Groove Agent
    Bass - Trilogy
    Guitar - Virtual Guitarist.

Pretty amazing what you can accomplish with just a computer and a controller nowadays...

Sounds pretty good. Nice drive to the track.

"The Grand" is amazing, eh?

While I think the distorted guitar can pass, the funky clean tone thing doesn't do it for me. It just doesn't sounds like a guitar.

The other thing I noticed were the drums. The hi-hat isn't right. I'm not sure why, but that's the most obvious to me. The snare is really good, but the kick drum is obvious.

I think I may feel this way about the drums because the performance is too clean. There's a lack of creative fill-ins, no crash cymbals, etc. Dummers most often *don't* fill-in only with the kick and snare. It's not believeable the drummer wouldn't fall in and out of that upbeat thing on the hat to keep it interesting, or add little LLRRLLR fills on it once in a while. At 2:22 there's an obvious flub.

When using virtual instruments, I always try to have one or two real instruments in the track as well because I think it improves the illusion.

Nice work. And, yes, it's amazing what just a controller can do these days.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

I'd have to agree with you on most of your points, besides for the clean guitar thing - I just think it sounds a bit too quantized.

The bottom line is that you can literally bang out a track nowadays in 3-4 hours. That's how long it took!