Thread: "You Are the Lord" & "I Give To You A Light"

"You Are the Lord" & "I Give To You A Light"

You Are the Lord - playful pop praise song
    I Give To You A Light - jazzy adult contemporary

Thanks for all listens and comments. I truly appreciate objective ears.
    http://www.songramp.com/homepage.ez?...key=1078537930
    Steve Cruz
    Cruzified Music Prod.
    Florida

A small little piece of peaceful Williamson County
    An odd question perhaps...
    Could you tell us a little bit about yourself, such as age and such. I'd like to get a feel for your musical influences and such before I comment on your production.

Thanks,
    dave.

I'm 52 years old, and I've been a musician since I was 14. Played bass and sang with a group that recorded at the Hit Factory in 1970-71, traveled with various other groups (Rock, Top 40, Lounge, Showbands).

Had an encounter with Jesus in a hotel room in 1981.

Now I'm the worship pastor at a church in Florida, lead a worship team (acoustic guitar) with my wife. That's her on the songs. I played all the instruments except bass (the guy who helped produce is a great bassist), sax and the electric piano on "I Give To You A Light". Recorded the whole mess in my home (02R, DA88/38, MOTU DP3.11 with 2408 mkII, and some rack gear).

The quality of the recording makes me wince some, but I'm learning.
    Steve Cruz
    Cruzified Music Prod.
    Florida

A small little piece of peaceful Williamson County
    O.k.,
    well...here's the thing...We could talk about a couple things. The recording itself or the tune and production. The recording isn't all that bad. There are some things that could be improved on. The vocal is a little thin...a bit crunchy. 'm not sure what mic your using but it seems that some of the problems stem from the processing rather than signal chain. The Bass player is quite good as noted...his bass might be a little forward in the mix however. Sax sounds pretty good..possibly some delay on it next time? Sounds like there is some distortion just after the modulation, before you go into the chorus last time (befoer the vocal adlibs).
    The BGVs are having some big intonation troubles. Yeah there are some times the vocal is for sure clipping there at the end.

On the other tune. Vocal sounds better...still thin, the doubling helped.

I think I had posted something on another thread of yours extolling the virtues of bringing in some live players for the rhythm. Perhaps you are using a set of V-Drums? I don't know man...it sounds very "Drum Machine" to me.

Here's the biggest issue. It sounds like your spending a great deal of time, energy, and money on the recordings and your studio gear. That's a great thing!!! Keep it up. I'm just not sure about the tunes and the treatment you give to them. Please understand I'm not trying to pull a "Simon Cowell" on you but....The songs are very dated and have a very "lounge" type of feel and sound.
    That's why I asked about your age and background. Your age indicates that you've been around long enough to be expossed to a lot of variety and you probably have a wide knowlage of many forms of music. I think your just referencing some of the that musical knkowlage you have...unfortunatly the styles you are referencing are not the ones most of us think pleasent thoughts of. On the tune "You are the Lord" It sounds like the "Tiffany" remake of "I Think were Alone Now". A Lot like that. That tune is like 20 years old now. Perhaps your trying to do a nostalgia thing...I don't know. It just seems pretty dated. From the vocal Pan-Delay to the Synth things you have going on it all screams 80's Mall-Pop.
    Your other tune "I give to You..." has a real Lounge type of feel. Like a sudo "smooth Jazz" thing.

Your wife obviously has some vocal chops and you are getting to know your gear pretty well and putting out some fairly nice sounding mixes. I just think you need to really check out you tunes against some popular stuff that's out there right now. Pick up a Martina McBride CD or a Celine disk, perhaps a Gloria Estefan album...whatever genre you are trying to hit...just sit in front of your monitors with nothing else going on and evaluate what they are doing. Listen to the tracks. Try and identify every thing that's going on in the tune. How many Guitar tracks are they using...what type of guitars, how are the panned, is there delay or reverb used on the guit...etc. How 'bout Percussion, BGVs, Keys, Horns. Go through and nit-pick everything. then A/B your stuff. It might be a little depressing to put something your working on against something the very best in the bussiness are crancking out but it's one of the best ways to learn. Don't be afraid to be humbled. If you'd like...I'll send you some of the very first stuff I did...YUCK!!!! Very embarresing to listen to nowadays
    I give you big props for sticking your neck out and asking for advice. Keep up the good work!!

dave.

Dave,

Thank you for the in depth reply. I sincerely appreciate the input.

Yes, dated, 80's is a great description. I Give To You a Light was actually written in 1983. I've been out of the mainstream of music since the 80's, and I'm just now starting to listen again. The fact that the songs were co-produced by another old-timer like myself probably only exacerbated matters.

The idea behind my wife's project was to put together a CD of songs we've been sitting on for a long time and perhaps to sell them at some of the churches we're affiliated with.

Next time we'll get our 21 year old son, who's a gifted guitarist/singer/songwriter, to produce.

Thanks again for taking the time.
    Steve Cruz
    Cruzified Music Prod.
    Florida