Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Lynn learned in the Preamp Comparison

I've been accused of being "coy" or worse when it comes to broadcasting my opinions publicly
    I think people who make these accusations don't bother to read all of your posts.

Jasper
    You can only work so many hours a day and two's my limit.

You should listen to the drum samples and see which you think sounds the most lifelike.
    I get what you are saying. However, the only thing is, since we were not present in hearing the live signal, and do not know the sound of that room, we have no way to determine which preamp sounded most like the original thing.

For that and other reasons, I believe listeners would have benefitted from the thoughts of those present, and would be capable of taking such with a grain of salt.

-KT
    Kurt Thompson
    Vibrational Arts, Inc.
    Sonic Sorcery Studios
    Austin, Texas

Originally posted by natpub:
    <STRONG>

I get what you are saying. However, the only thing is, since we were not present in hearing the live signal, and do not know the sound of that room, we have no way to determine which preamp sounded most like the original thing.
    </STRONG>
    That's true. But I would suggest you listen and see which you like the most and then take that one (or two) home and see how true it is for you.

I'm not sure our comments about which one sounded most "lifelike" would have been any more meaningful than which sounded "best" to each one of us. FWIW, not everybody agreed with the drummer about which preamp sounded the best, and his opinion about which sounded the best to him was again "one man's opinion."
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

FWIW, not everybody agreed with the drummer about which preamp sounded the best, and his opinion about which sounded the best to him was again "one man's opinion."
    While I agree with your statement, I'd give significant weight to Paul's opinion for a couple of reasons.

First of all he's not just in the room, he's hearing the drums as he tuned them, from his perspective behind the kit. He's then commenting on what sounds best to him as he hears it played back in the control room. At that point nobody else there has the same reference he does, that's virtually impossible unless you go out there and play the kit. Even then you don't have his years of experience in this equation.

Originally posted by K.C.:
    <STRONG>

While I agree with your statement, I'd give significant weight to Paul's opinion for a couple of reasons. </STRONG>
    I wasn't suggesting that his opinion wasn't very significant, just that other producer/engineers there had other favorites. Sometimes the "real sound" is not what's best for the project, no matter how accurate it is.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

I believe listeners would have benefitted from the thoughts of those present
    Here's an idea. Along with the CD/DVD, the buyer also gets written opinions from everyone involved.

Jasper
    You can only work so many hours a day and two's my limit.

Originally posted by Mike Jasper:
    <STRONG>Here's an idea. Along with the CD/DVD, the buyer also gets written opinions from everyone involved.
    </STRONG>
    But that would be cheating. You can read about preamps all day long on the internet and in magazines. It doesn't give you any indication of how they sound.

Based on the requests that I get, I think I could have outsold the CDs 100 to 1 if I were selling the list of my opinions and favorites.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Lynn-

I`m grateful for the work you have done putting together these comparative CDs. Honestly as much as I like to hear about others opinions and techniques, in the end what sits best with me is deciding for myself what sounds I like. I use your first collection (mic pres) and was surprised to hear that a $500 mic pre can sound as good as a $2000 mic pre. This opened my ears.

Thanks again,
    Ernest

hello,
    I have tested 3 totaly different mic pre's. Millennia HV-3B, manley mono pre and a mackie 24/8 bus preamp.
    I played a R&B song with lots of hi-and low end frequencies tru one Mackie HR824 speaker. I did put my neumann M149 about 40" in front off the speaker in cardioid.I used the same cables on every recording.
    I used a motu HD 192 and I recorded everything at 24bit 192 kHz.I tryed to match the input level as close as possible and than normalized the 3 tracks.

I don't hear the difference!!!.

It is the second time I do a pre amp test an I beginning to think that I have a problem with my ears.
    I have a recording studio an I also work in a music gear shop, I hear the difference between speakers, mic's but not between different mic pre's.

Can anybody give me some tips on how to compair mic pre's?

Try putting a live instrument or singer in front of that M149 and recording through each of those preamps again. It's different than recording a "canned" performance.
    Steve Cruz
    Cruzified Music Prod.
    Florida

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast