Thread: Face to Face with "Hutch" Hutchison of Manley Labs

Face to Face with "Hutch" Hutchison of Manley Labs

"Hutch" Hutchison is the lead designer for Manley Labs and has been the lead engineer for such projects as the Manley VoxBox, the Massive Passive EQ, the Vari-Mu and the ELOP compressors. His work is very well respected by many recording engineers and many of his designs are destined to become classics.

I caught up with Hutch at the New York AES in the fall of 2003 and we spoke briefly on the exhibit hall floor amidst all the activities before the exhibits opened. We discussed the SLAM design, his design philosophies, as well as the upcoming "TNT" preamp which is half-SLAM (tube) and half solid state (no tube).

Face to Face with Hutch Hutchison of Manley Labs
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Personally I would love just a Slam mic pre by itself. With two pre's that sound different, you can use them together, and the 2nd pre will add another $1,500 to the price.

I had the pleasure in talking to Hutch, also known as Craig. He was a very nice guy and answered all my technical questions on the Voxbox. I told him bascially that after all the research I did on the Voxbox and trying it out, it still holds it's own against all the new channel strips out there. He was very pleased to hear that of course.