Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Face to Face with George Massenburg of GML

If you are a 3D VIP, you can listen to the VIPRE samples here and that will help answer your questions.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I went to join but there is a $5 charge for shipping? Don't I just get a authorization on my email address?

Yes, you are correct on both. I have had a long standing policy of charging $5 shipping for both US and international orders. It's much easier for bookkeeping and I don't have to bother with setting up a shipping calculator at the store. That means that $5 s/h is added to every order regardless of how much or where it is.

It has worked fine for four years now, and instead of changing it, I just discounted the VIP price to $20 and when the s/h is added, it comes to $25. You get the authorization via email and the cost is the same. It's just a workaround for me.

So, no, nothing is shipped to you and the price of admission is only $25.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Just some technical Q:

Oh my why is it 16kbps MP3 with 12kHz samplerate? It's very very annoying quality. Is it the punishment for the non VIP? How is it possible I was able to download the interwievs without being signed?

Funny, all three gentlemen like things "transparent" with not as many things in the signal path. GM is big EGO in a good way... ;-)
    Matous Godik
    www.zka4t.com

Originally posted by matucha:
    <STRONG>Just some technical Q:

Oh my why is it 16kbps MP3 with 12kHz samplerate? It's very very annoying quality. Is it the punishment for the non VIP? How is it possible I was able to download the interwievs without being signed?

</STRONG>
    To keep the sample sizes small.

No.

Most interviews will be made publicly available without joining as a 3D VIP. I hope that you'll enjoy them enough that you'll want to help support this endeavor.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

well, something like 32kHz sampling rate could be ok with 48kbps or so. Yep it is 4 times larger, but it is worth I think. 24 minutes of Dave Hill interview would take ~12MB... is it too much? well, better to fit it into ~6-7MB, acceptable size for modem owners and for the server traffic. But GM's and Hutch's interwiev could be 4MB and sound acceptable.

Maybe this is funny, but I couldn't help myself to think "oh this is server where everyone is talking about superb nuances in over $4K gear and then I'm listenin go 12kHz sampling rate". No offence, really.

I'm still have a card with no international payments allowed, ...too lazy/busy to change it ;-). So paying things on the internet is let's say "problematic", asking friends to do my a favour ;-\.

--- ahh, now I listen to the "Panel talk" and it's better understandable. Maybe it's the RFI thing making these interwievs so hard to listen. Still please try to shift a encoding quality a bit.

thanks thanks ;-)
    Matous Godik
    www.zka4t.com

Originally posted by Revelation:
    <STRONG>George states some interesting points.

Could someone explain about the "loading switches". I did not fully understand the whole thing as Lynn and Geroge (since they understood it fully) did not explain it as in depth for some of us.</STRONG>
    I think he refers that many of the preamps out there that boasts input impedance selecting options do not work correctly because of their implementation, and only put unnecessary things in the signal path. One of the ways to do it is by having a multiprimary input transformer. To change load input you just select the desired tap of the transformer. Not cheap, though...

Hope this helps

Hans

Originally posted by PUNKEST:
    <STRONG>I think he refers that many of the preamps out there that boasts input impedance selecting options do not work correctly because of their implementation, and only put unnecessary things in the signal path. </STRONG>
    I think the other issue they had with the way the variable impedance selection usually works is the fact that the volume is dramatically affected when you change the impedance. This makes it hard to accurately hear the more subtle differences imparted by changing the impedance, so most people will just go for the "loudest" setting. N.b., the forthcoming Manley TNT is designed to compensate for this when switching between input impedances, but that's the only mic pre I know of that'll do that.

Andrew
    Andrew Leavitt

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nice interview!

Just heard it

Your the man Lynn
    Randy Wright
    Recording Engineer
    Phoenix, Arizona

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast