Thread: Face to Face with Dirk Brauner-Brauner Microphones

Face to Face with Dirk Brauner-Brauner Microphones

Dirk Brauner, manufacturer of the well respected VM-1 and VM-A (among other mics), took the time to chat with me at AES 2004. We discussed the value of mics that will last for generations and the differences between the VM-1 and the new VM-A. It is a fascinating discussion.

Lynn Fuston and Dirk Brauner chatting at AES

The Brauner VMA (below). For more info, or to buy one, check here: http://www.transaudioelite.com/brvmatumic.html

Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

And I should point out that the Brauner VM-1 is available here in the US for under $4000.

Surprised?

I was. I always thought all the big Brauners (VM-1A, VM-A, VM-1 KHE) started around $6K and went up from there. Well they do go up from there, but you can get in for under $4K.

And I stand by my statement that the Brauners are one of the finest mics made today. I'll say without hesitation that the Brauner KHE is probably the best mic that's currently manufactured. It is a collectible classic.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Lynn in your interview with Dirk Brauner he mentions the two different characters of the VMA by using the switch which changes the biasing of the capsule, one which uses a high polarization voltage providing a high resonance frequency and the other a low polarization voltage providing a low resonance frequency, as well as the baising of the tube and change in the path of the electronic components.

What does he mean by resonance frequency?

And just curious as to audible characteristics of each setting and how they may differ from each other?
    Last edited by Mike Derrick; 03-30-2007 at 10:03 AM.

I don't know the answers. I have contacted Dirk.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

I love my Valvet (especially on non-strident female singers) and wish I could own more Brauner mics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Derrick View Post
    Lynn in your interview with Dirk Brauner he mentions the two different characters of the VMA by using the switch which changes the biasing of the capsule, one which uses a high polarization voltage providing a high resonance frequency and the other a low polarization voltage providing a low resonance frequency, as well as the baising of the tube and change in the path of the electronic components.

What does he mean by resonance frequency?

And just curious as to audible characteristics of each setting and how they may differ from each other?
    I inquired of Dirk but he is away on business travel. Here is the response I got to your questions from the VP at Brauner.

The VMA has two different sound characteristics. One is based on the VM1 sound which has a very natural, open and detail rich sound. The other sound character wich we extracted in the VMX is more soft and has a silky top end with slightly pronounced lower midth and bottom range.

The different sounds are performed by different components and circuitries in the power supply.

Hope that answers the questions.

Best Regards,

Dr. Benedikt Roesen
    Vice President

BRAUNER.THE ART OF MICROPHONES
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

thanks Lynn and Dr. Roesen.
    Last edited by Mike Derrick; 04-21-2007 at 02:01 PM.