Thread: Face to Face with Dave Hill of Cranesong

Face to Face with Dave Hill of Cranesong

Here's an interview with Dave Hill, founder of Cranesong whose designs like the Flamingo, HEDD, STC-8, and Ibis are very well respected and loved in this industry. This interview was conducted when we were in New Orleans at TapeOpCon 2004.

I consider Dave to be one of the technical geniuses in our industry today. He's not rehashing old technology but experimenting and innovating and coming up with things that have never been heard before. I've had his HEDD 192 converter + much more here for several months and it is an amazing piece of work. Everything from superclean to grunge to punchy to tape-softened can be accomplished in this one box. It's an engineer's dream.

In this 24 minute interview, we discuss his background, his perspective as a working engineer/studio owner/remote recorder/designer, his design goals, the common goals among his gear and much more. I think you'll find it very interesting.

PS: This is by far the worst of the RFI-challenged recordings from that weekend. To listen to it, you'll just need to pretend you're sitting at a curbside restaurant and there's a band playing across the street. It's a challenge to listen around the radio station, but the knowledge offered is too great for me to withhold it just to save face. Just think of it like listening to AM radio.

Face to Face interview with Dave Hill of Cranesong
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

He tried not to be a clone of a clone of a clone of the pre of the past. That is very refreshing. Though it is nice having a company like Great River for instance which improved the Neve spe's and updated it a bit! However everyone is trying to do that and not as good as Great River mind you. Cranesong tried to get their own sound. Not patterned after certain things. However you can get similar LA2 A sounds if you want on their compressor. Very nice.

However a little up hill battle I see for Cranesong is many people are comfortable with the standard sounds, and don't like trying new things. Heck try to get a studio to switch from a SM58 to a Beta SM58. However everyone in the industry appears to appreciate the high quality, well thought out equipment of Cranesong. So I think in the pro market they will get sales.

Another awesome interview, Lynn.

Anyone who has ever used the Trakker knows Dave Hill truly is a genius, an innovator.

Watch out if he ever starts making microphones!

Originally posted by Revelation:
    <STRONG>He tried not to be a clone of a clone of a clone of the pre of the past. That is very refreshing. Though it is nice having a company like Great River for instance which improved the Neve spe's and updated it a bit! However everyone is trying to do that and not as good as Great River mind you. Cranesong tried to get their own sound. Not patterned after certain things. However you can get similar LA2 A sounds if you want on their compressor. Very nice.

However a little up hill battle I see for Cranesong is many people are comfortable with the standard sounds, and don't like trying new things. Heck try to get a studio to switch from a SM58 to a Beta SM58. However everyone in the industry appears to appreciate the high quality, well thought out equipment of Cranesong. So I think in the pro market they will get sales.</STRONG>
    The Beta58 is a live mic and it sounds like crap that's why. You don't need that 3-5kHz squirliness and increased output in a recording mic. If I need gain, I'll take it at the pre.