Thread: Korby Audio KAT4

Korby Audio KAT4

How would you compare Korby's KAT 4 system (C12, 251, 47, 67) to similar models from other (modern) companies?

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
    Originally posted by Dragomir:
    <STRONG>How would you compare Korby's KAT 4 system (C12, 251, 47, 67) to similar models from other (modern) companies?</STRONG>
    I don't know (or much care...) how their mic compares to other modern companies replicas of those classic old mics. What I cared about was how their mic compared to the classic mic itself.

I had the chance to compare, side by side, the Korby 251 and 67M against Conway's 251 and 2 67s, one stock and one modified. I recorded my acoustic guitar (an all maple Santa Cruz Model F) guitar and vocal, in my room, using John Hardy preamps and Mytek converters, and played back the resulting files through Mytek converters, Cello amplification, and Dunlavy speakers, in my acoustically treated room.

I bought the Korby.

I've subequently picked up a 47 capsule for it, and another, older Korby large diaphragm condenser design.

I think that there are a couple of things to consider. First, do you like the sound of the mic. Second, -is- it a reasonable replication of the mic with which the manufacturer has chosen to make an association? Third, would you rather have an original with all of it's intrinsic value and possible repair/maintenance issues; or a modern replica that will be easier and cheaper to maintain and will give you value for many years to come with minimal headaches.

All of the boutique mic manufacturers make good products. Most of them have spent major portions of their lives trying to make great mics, and with the recent vintage mic craze, they are finally seeing some reward (even if through the back door, so to speak...) for their efforts.

In the long run, the sound of the mic is the most important thing. I can compare a Gibson J-200 to a Martin D-45, but if you asked me to compare Goodall to other modern manufacturers dreadnaught size guitars, I'd have some trouble. I'd have no problem telling you that Goodall, Breedlove, Collings, Olsen, etc etc all make great dreadnaught guitars, they all sound great, and you should check them out to see which one -you- like.

Bill
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

I own the KAT-4 system, but I´m sorry to say that I haven´t tried them against the microphones they emulate, because I don´t have access to them.

The Korby has been our go-to vocal mic since we got it. One of the capsules will almost always work great for any given vocalist. If not, they´re "ribbon-vocalists", and the R84 wins.

Stein Tore

BTW, there was a thread on this at gearslutz.com a while back. You could try a search over there.

Stein Tore

Hi all
    We have had our KAT4 for about a week. We are also the Caribbean dealer for Korby, so you can temper my enthusiasm if you wish!
    This thing is terrific! As Steins said - it has quickly become a vocal "go to" around here.

Can't go wrong - for the sound or price.
    Dan

The reason I asked is because here, where I live, in Romania, I got no chance to test the mics myself.
    The KAT 4 seems a vesatile solution, but how would you rate it in terms of quality to similar mics produced by companies like Soundelux, Lawson, Gefell, Wunder Audio, etc?

I would say the quality is absolutely at least on par with any of the brands mentioned.
    These mics sound spectacular!
    Dan