Thread: Sadly no Stories

Sadly no Stories

It sure is quiet down here at the bottom of the forums list...

No stories? No funny moments?

Perhaps it's time to start with an old classic.

It's 1991. I'm still in High School -- barely. (Shhhhhh... don't tell any one.)

I've got a Teac A-3340 and a Peavey 701R. Between the two of them, maybe 50db SNR on a good day.

But, I'm recording.

So, some friends of mine are in a band called Jam Master Chip and the Choctaws.

Not really a good band, but a band.

We record a song called "The Wolves Have Come". It's sort of a precursor to what came out of Seattle for the next decade. How dare you suggest high schoolers in Oklahoma aren't trend setters?

This song is *bad*. I mean really bad. I found the old quarter-track the other day. Loaded some of it in to the DAW. You can listen to a little bit of it here.

Nothing unusual until we pack it tails out as required by the dupe house. We were having cassettes made. Remember those?

Well, all that "singers" grunting and panting played backwards resulted in the unmistakable sound of "Asssssshole!".

And, as proof, I offer this.

Let's hear it, story toppers.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Well, once I was mixing a record for this maggot and he inched up real close and started sucking on a wound on my arm...

Woops. Wrong thread.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10
    I was on the performing end playing bass guitar in the mid 70s (still in hi school) when the establishment owner stated he wanted our show recorded...there was this big truck outside with a bazillion wires running all over...

Now, the establishment wasn't even finished, electrical wise...and in tru 70's form, after plucking a note, I raised my right hand and pointed my index finger (ala John Travolta) in the air...sadly, my finger ended up 4 inches away from an exposed electrical splice...

A bolt flew from fingertip to wire (or vice versa)...blew the fingernail slap off the finger...shorted out the entire stage electrical system...

The recording was not completed until the next week.

And, sadly, maggot therapy was not called for at the time - although I wish I could find the maggot bar owner now, and show him the arthritic reaction generated by his cheap wiring...

I'll start posting info on some of the oddball remote (and studio) gigs I end up doing...if that's what this page is for.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Originally posted by Wireline:
    <STRONG>I'll start posting info on some of the oddball remote (and studio) gigs I end up doing...if that's what this page is for.</STRONG>
    Indeed, that's exactly what it's for.

I may have something special sortly. I've got a very odd-ball gig coming up next week.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10
    Refer (or in this case, should have been reefer) to the post Classical Training in the Classical/Location page...

Perhaps this should have been posted here,,,move it if you like.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

I have hundreds of storys....sadly, I don't think anyone would give a hoot.

Let me know if you want to travel back in time to 1976...

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
    Please

Hb
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

My first time in a "World Class" plant...it's was a private studio of a group with HUGE radio hits in the 70's...and I had to move hamburger wrappers and fries off a MCI/Sony desk.There was dust and grime everywhere...didn't really think about it much then...I was 20 and thrilled to be in the plant.Looking back....oy oy...this puppy cranked out multi-million sellers.There were 48 LA-2A's and 48 1176's in racks and the first 224XL Lexi I ever saw. The kids making the demo got the room for....hold on to something......$25.00 an hour!!!!! Wonder where the LA-2A's/1176's are?
    Dennis Jones
    Technical Director
    WNCW-FM www.wncw.org
    3D Audio V.I.P.