Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mix 3 - Diggin In

Did anyone other than me choose to mix Logan's song?

-- Martin
    Martin Schiff (3D VIP)
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

I ran out of time just getting the first one done.

Devin DeVore
    TSC

Martin
    There is at least one other mix of my tune and I'll submit a mix I did a few years ago from the same files. There may be more but I haven't actually listened to anyones submission yet, haven't had the time. Take care Logan

Martin,

I did spend a little time mixing Logan's song. I found it lacked some balance with his guitar (timing issue) which I panned sort of left. So in order to balance it a bit, I added a guitar track (played by me), also a bit out of time, panned sort of right.

I thought the song was very interesting. The choice of instruments was very nice and enjoyable for me to mix. Very unique style.

I don't do this for a living and have mostly been recording/mixing bands that my kid's are in or their friends bands. They are usually under 20 years old and some variation of genX, screaming metal, or a modern version of a guitar band. But I love every minute of it.

Logan's song was a pleasant departure. Thank you Logan.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Devin DeVore
    I ran out of time just getting the first one done.

Devin DeVore
    TSC
    I did Logan's first and didn't have time for the other one.

-- Martin
    Martin Schiff (3D VIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Schiff
    Did anyone other than me choose to mix Logan's song?

-- Martin
    I did Logan's song. I sort of got a bit carried away actually and replaced some parts and, um, added a few more It's a good job there was a deadline actually or I would have had a whole symphony orchestra in there.

steve

Steve,

I did the opposite. I didn't feel that the guitar part worked well with the rest, so I left it out and concentrated on making the rest sound good. I liked the simplicity of the results.

-- Martin
    Martin Schiff (3D VIP)

Just scanning through the Springtime mixes I was quite surprised at the variation in the overall tone. It's just amazing what a different room and monitor combination will do. And as we listen back, again one's perception is affected by one's room and monitors. For example, one mix sounded like it was too bright. Another had a hole in the mids. Another a bit too thumpy. But, that may be my monitors skewed. Ya know? It would be great if a mastering engineer could lend a helpful ear.

Quote Originally Posted by grekim
    Just scanning through the Springtime mixes I was quite surprised at the variation in the overall tone. It's just amazing what a different room and monitor combination will do. And as we listen back, again one's perception is affected by one's room and monitors. For example, one mix sounded like it was too bright. Another had a hole in the mids. Another a bit too thumpy. But, that may be my monitors skewed. Ya know? It would be great if a mastering engineer could lend a helpful ear.
    Yep that would be kewl. I could send a mix disc to any volunteers. Take care Logan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12