Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Foam Gobos

Default Large Foam Gobos

I need some large foam blocks cut to size like I have seen some studios around town use for gobos. Does anyone know where I can get some large, thick foam blocks cut to size in the Nashville / Franklin area? I'm looking for something 3' x 7' x 8"thick...

Thanks,
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Icon3

Todd,

> Does anyone know where I can get some large, thick foam blocks cut to size <

Be careful with that, because the only kind of foam you should use is foam made specifically for absorption. Most "foam" is not acoustic, and will not work well. Even better than acoustic foam is rigid fiberglass. Owens-Corning 703 is the standard for this, and 705 is even better but it costs more.

--Ethan

http://www.foamonline.com/

I was impressed with this site because of the variety of foam they sold and the custom cutting. It looks like you can find what you are looking for if you have the time. Maybe they would even have the acoustic properties upon request. Again you may be after a combination of isolation and absorption. If so, it looks like some of the very dense foams will provide gobo type isolation, with less than ideal absorption.

Actually it has got me thinking; I think you'llwill find it to be a very expensive application.

Regards,
    Mark
    Mark Kramer
    www.thejazzmall.com

formula to live by

Icon3

Mark,

> I was impressed with this site because of the variety of foam they sold <

That's billed as furniture foam, which is not the same as acoustic foam. One of the foam types claims to be "acoustic," but I'd be wary because no absorption data is given.

--Ethan

Ethan,

The typical application for the standing blocks of foam that Todd refers to is making reconfigurable iso booths. It's easy to stack a couple in an L-shape around a guitar amp and then throw one on top for isolation. We use them for temporary vocal isolation in the middle of a large room, or to baffle in front of horns to keep reflections or spill minimized.

They're lightweight, not horribly unattractive, and are easily stackable/stowable. You'll find them in lots of studios all over Nashville. I discovered them as a cheap alternative to rolling gobos back in the very early 80s. They are more expensive now.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Winer
    Todd,

> Does anyone know where I can get some large, thick foam blocks cut to size <

Be careful with that, because the only kind of foam you should use is foam made specifically for absorption. Most "foam" is not acoustic, and will not work well. Even better than acoustic foam is rigid fiberglass. Owens-Corning 703 is the standard for this, and 705 is even better but it costs more.

--Ethan
    Where can one get Owens-Corning 703 or 705??

Brian

Icon3

Brian,

> Where can one get Owens-Corning 703 or 705?? <

The text below is from my Acoustics FAQ.

--Ethan

Now that you know what rigid fiberglass is, where the heck do you buy it? You probably won't find it at your local hardware store or lumber yard, but many insulation suppliers stock it or can order it. Start by looking in your telephone directory under Insulation and also Heating / Air Conditioning Suppliers. You can find the name of an Owens-Corning dealer near you by calling 800-GET-PINK (800-438-7465) or from the Locator page on the Owens-Corning web site. Other companies, such as Knauf, Armstrong, and Delta, make similar products, and they often cost less than fiberglass from Owens-Corning. You can contact them directly to find a distributor near you. In the interest of completeness, here are some other manufacturers that make similar products: Johns-Manville, CertainTeed, Roxul, Ottawa Fibre, and Fibrex.

Icon3

Lynn,

> The typical application for the standing blocks of foam that Todd refers to is making reconfigurable iso booths. <

Thanks for clarifying. Though I still have to think that using a more effective material would give even better results.

--Ethan

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Winer
    Mark,

That's billed as furniture foam, which is not the same as acoustic foam. One of the foam types claims to be "acoustic," but I'd be wary because no absorption data is given.

--Ethan
    Right. That's what I was saying.
    But I have no question that the dense foam will work for some isolation and some absorption in some parts of the spectrum. I was hoping to see if I could get any acoustical data, until I saw the price tag - - - $400+ per high density unit!!

And while I have you on the line, Ethan, I have found your general writings to be quite thoughtful and a terrific service.

Regards,
    Mark
    Mark Kramer
    www.thejazzmall.com

formula to live by

For those in or near NY city looking for this material... I bought a lot of Johns-Manville 2'x4' semi-rigid insulation, which is apparently the same thing is Owens Corning 703, at J&S Supply in Long Island City, right outside of Manhattan. I used this material in bass traps, slat absorbers and in the wall panels I built for my studio as specified by Fran Manzella. J&S was the only place I could find that had this material when I bought it 4 or 5 years ago.

http://www.jandssupply.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast