Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sm57

HG is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Default Sm57

Just thought I'd share this with everyone.

I've been recording a Rockabilly band in my mates kitchen Home Studio. He has a AW4416 and hates the preamps so he bought a AD8000.

We tracked 3 songs without the singer, and after spying the Bass player singing along to the tune got him to sing 1 song into a SM57 cause that's all we had as I wanted to get an overall impression of the tracks mixed.

MAN! What an amazing vocal sound! That mic never ceases to amaze me!

You can put it in a Kick drum, you can mic an acoustic at the 12th fret, goto for snare , Amp stacks it's just a bloody awesome mic!!

Got to be the best mic ever made I reckon!

Quote Originally Posted by HG
    Got to be the best mic ever made I reckon!
    imho..I agree..its pretty close to be one of my all time "all trixs pony mic" as well...youd be hard pressed to not being able to get something good/usable out of that mic..I have 10 of these around me all the time *S*

Kind regards

Peter
    Tubes! Making people sucessful in a changing world!

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field

"If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing."

Though the SM 57 is a decent mic, I prefer the improved Beta 57.

Quote Originally Posted by Revelation
    Though the SM 57 is a decent mic, I prefer the improved Beta 57.
    I like both of them, but they are quite different.
    The beta seems to have much more zing to it.
    It works well on some snares, but on guitar amps, leslies etc.. I still prefer the old 57.

Again.. that depends on the actual source, song, arrangement, power at that particular moment, etc.. etc..

I have 5 57's and a beta 57.. none of them sound exactly the same.
    *shrug.. some I like more than others.. I keep thinking I should mark them, but that takes some fun out of it and would make me potentially always seek out that particular mic rather than try the lot of them.

Yeah, the sm-57 is a great mic.

I like the Audix i5 too for an all around all multipurpose mic.

-jp

OVer 20 years ago, I went into Sam Ash music and told the salesman that I wanted to buy a Shure SM58. He asked if me I ever heard the Electro Voice 257, and my answer was no. He then said try them both out and see which one you think is better.

Well I first checkout the the SM 58. It had a mid punch to my voice with less on the top end. It was ok. Then I went to the EV 257. It had a more open sound, with a lot more on the high end and a clearer sound. The salesman smiled at me. It seems he has done this test many times with other customers. I never understood why the EV dynamic mic's were never as popular as the Shure. I know Shure was out first, but to me the 257 is in a higher playing field over the 58. Yes I know the 58 was used on countless records and still give great performances, but I will stick with my 257 thank you.

Back about ten years ago a whole bunch of friends of mine were buying those EV N/D stage mics (267, 367, 767, etc.), and they were raving about the relatively clear, hi-fi sound compared to the Shure mics. What I've found is that it depends entirely on what kind of music you're performing (and where). I often prefer the N/D mics to SM58s for small-group, low-volume gigs like coffeehouses. They sound a little more "condenser-y" so to speak, with a bigger, smoother low end and more detail on top.

But for a rock band on stage in a club, the 58 wins every time for me. That broad upper-mid bump may sound a little grungey in isolation, but it catapults the vocal to the front of a dense guitar-n-drums mix like nothing else.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Middleton
    Back about ten years ago a whole bunch of friends of mine were buying those EV N/D stage mics (267, 367, 767, etc.), and they were raving about the relatively clear, hi-fi sound compared to the Shure mics. What I've found is that it depends entirely on what kind of music you're performing (and where). I often prefer the N/D mics to SM58s for small-group, low-volume gigs like coffeehouses. They sound a little more "condenser-y" so to speak, with a bigger, smoother low end and more detail on top.

But for a rock band on stage in a club, the 58 wins every time for me. That broad upper-mid bump may sound a little grungey in isolation, but it catapults the vocal to the front of a dense guitar-n-drums mix like nothing else.
    It was about ten years ago I found the 767's being used at Samford University in Birmingham. They sounded so good I started using them on vocals at our church. The music minister even had me get the EV wireless with a 767 head on it. Of course the walls weren't breathing so they worked really well. I didn't have to do a major rolloff around 450 like the 58's.

Sorry to say I don't do the scream-a-thons anymore. 90db and down. Ears are in absolute rebellion.
    Wayne Butler
    Studios at Pike Road

Does anyone have any comments on how the Audio Technica ATM63 compares to the sm57? I once knew an engineer who used to reach for it quite a bit where you would typically see an SM57.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast