Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your room and monitering setup

Default your room and monitering setup

Tell us about the space you mix in and the speakers/amps you use. I'm also interested in hearing about the over all sonic qualities you notice in the mixes.
    Too much bass, too bright that sort of thing, I feel it will help many of us in figuring out how others percieve our mixes. If you feel that your mix is bright but others hear a loading up of low end frequencies, it will help us all in trouble shooting our rooms. Take care Logan

As I said in my comments, I mix entirely in headphones (Sony MDR 7506) driven by my converter's headphone amp (STA ADC/DAC 2000). If that's not bad enough, I check out the finished mixes on a Fohnn PA speaker sytem (they actually sound quite good to my damaged ears) driven by a QSC 1604 in a 20' by 20' rather live room. Until/if I can someday afford something better, that's all I can do.

Monitoring Chain:

Apogee 8000 SE D/A -> TL Audio 8 ch mixer -> Hafler amp -> Dynaudio BM-6's

Mix room 22'x11'x10' Slanted ceiling over 1/2. Hardwood floor. Wool (?) rug in a 1/4 of area. Sheet rock on wall. A little of Auralex hither and dither. Cluttered bookshelf. Hand built quadradic residue diffuser behind. Monitors not up against wall.

Apogee Rosetta -> Mackie 24.8 -> HR824s.

Room is 16'x12'x11' with auralex all over the place, wooden floor, bass traps.

steve

Mytek Stereo 2496 DA -> Hafler P3000 -> Dynaudio BM6

Ramsa 4520 and 4412 boards

Week before was:

Mytek Stereo 2496 DA -> Event 2020bas

Ramsa 4520 and 4412 boards

Room is about 16 x 11 x 8. Treated with foam and bass traps.

One thing is for sure...the Dyns sound different than the Events! The Dyns have more detail (I think this is why I rolled the top off a bit) and a much cleaner but overall less low end (at least in my room). I don't think the Dyns are lacking in lows and they are great in the mids and up. It's an operator thing - I just need to learn them.
    Last edited by JohnD; 10-30-2005 at 07:51 PM. Reason: To add console

My room set up. Well ... I monitor coming off a dbx Quanutm which is on my console two buss. Its main function is as an A/D and is clocked by a Big Ben.
    My monitors are ACE 550's with Hafler P4000.
    My control room is 13x15 with some treatment.

Devin DeVore
    TSC

I monitor through the console (D&R Cinemix) to either Dynaudio BM15A's, Daynaudio BM15's, or Tannoy 6.5's. My control room is approximately 18x22, with 11 foot ceiling. the room is approximately 50% absorptive (with bass traps at the top of three walls), and 50% reflective, though there are no parallel surfaces (except for the ceilling, which I intend to fix in the next couple of weeks).
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    Java Jive Studio

Despite knowing better the gear went into the room long before any sound treatment took place. Monitoring chain:PTLE out through RADAR converters, (RADAR as Clock master) into two channels of Soundcraft Delta (EQ OFF!) set for unity, CR out into speaker selector built into console, NS-10's/BGW250 with Yamaha powered sub as primary monitor, Mackie HR-824s for louder tracking and Bose freestyles to see how the mix sounds on sh#$$y speakers. The room is around 12x22, gear against one short wall. Basic LE/DE approach now (Aurolex). We have some issues with bass in the 100-200 Hz range due to the interaction of the sub with the NS-10's and the room. Bass in this area is softer in this freq range at the mixing position. We're looking at pulling the gear out from the wall a bit, repositioning the sub, installing traps......blah, blah, blah......

Timely topic-thanks!

Default Should I have posted?

I just realized this may have been intended for those participating in a mix comparison. If so I apologize! Good topic anyway.

Bill
    Originally it was intended for Mixtravaganza participants, however I think it's great if other folks want to respond, there's no such thing as too much information and I find it very interesting to know how other folks are set up..Take care Logan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast