Thread: Your initial reaction to the raw tracks

Default Your initial reaction to the raw tracks

I feel this will help us in understanding how people hear material. Also include your reaction to the tracking and song structure, as this will be invaluable to both Ryan and myself as writers tracking out own stuff. take care Logan

My initial reaction to the tracks was that they sounded very well done. Well played and recorded. My first thought was that this would be a piece of cake because it already sounded good. The only track that I didn't like (besides the midi percussion track) was the overheads. They were too wide, there was a big hole in the middle, and some of the cymbals were too brassy sounding.
    Then, when I got everything loaded and started listening and trying to decide what to pan where, I started getting confused. I couldn't see the band's conception of where it should go. I couldn't figure out if all the different guitar parts were meant to be present through all parts of the song, or if they were meant as alternate takes. I started muting things and trying to get a better feel of it. It definitely would have helped to be in on the recording of it.
    I ended up taking it a stage at a time. When the next part came, I'd start from scratch and move on to the next. Then I went back and automated everything to make the transitions from part to part.
    The vocals were also a problem for me. Not the sound, The performance and sound were great. It was the structure. I felt the lyrics were too repetitive. So I cut out part of the intro vocals. Whoever did mix #4 was much more creative in dealing with that. Nice job there.
    All in all it was a great effort from the band and the recordist. I don't have a cd player in my car, so I popped it into the player in a friends car while we were driving somewhere. He said ,"Who's that?" I said, "Don't know, I'm practicing my mixing with it, along with a bunch of people I also don't know." He said, "I love it. Nice drumming! Great singing! You gotta make me a copy."
    Thanks Ryan, for giving us the opportunity to do this.
    And thanks Logan, for organizing the whole thing.

Dick

If you go to one of Ryan's posts and check his web site for the band which they call "The Pitch" you will find they have two CDs that are very resonably priced and well worth having. Take care Logan

Oh man, I can't wait to get my disc in the mail. I flew to Chicago to watch the world series with my family and don't fly home until tomorrow. So I've missed the last 4 or 5 threads because I haven't heard anything yet!! I'm sure it's sitting there in my mail box.

I can't wait to listen and post, and to everyone else: Logan is right. Your comments are so helpful. Thanks so much. Fun times. Go White Sox!

I think I touched on the tracks a little starting out. I think everyone would agree that the vocal tone was nice to work with. The drums and bass were not. I believe a lot of these tracks were recorded with CAD mics. Well, I'll say I'm not in any rush to ever try those mics again. I think there are a lot of good mics out there but there were a few things that were real hard to get around. Nothing was too warm and smooth sounding. The bass tone was a little quorky. I do think a good performance can out perform a bad sounding recording however. The group has some talent but I think the lack of not being able to track the drums and bass together hurt.
    When I opened the song up ... I kind of felt a little lossed with the direction of the track too. Again, great talent but these guys need a producer. I did my best to editing things into a little more focus and direction for the song. I know I took out a big part of the song that had a lot of different feel ... but I didn't feel that was the bands strength. I wanted to focus on making the band sound the best they can. I feel that is really what mixing is all about.

Devin DeVore
    TSC