Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discuss your reactions to to the mixes

Default Discuss your reactions to to the mixes

What do you like, what do you not like, what are your favs? Take care Logan

I just did a quick listen to all the mixes, and it's very interesting to hear all of the different ways the editing was done. Also, how diverse the sonics are through each track.
    Here's a twist: I did my mix through headphones because my studio was disassembled. Try to guess the headphone mix! I've already heard a big problem in my mix probably due to the headphones. I just hope everyone had as much fun as I did, it was a blast.
    The main reason I did this was to learn and get advice on my mixing and to see what others would do differently so I could learn from that as well.
    Thanks!!
    Eric

Lots of fun. I definitely hear changes for my mix, but overall feel good about(especially since I was working on a new system with very limited time)
    Great job everyone!
    It is interesting to hear who's rooms are too bright and who's are too dull. My mix was slightly hollow/dull.
    I was amazed at all the different choices for verbs.

On Logan's song....whoever did #3 rocks! That was an incredible transformation of a song. Love the brass section. (Chicago)

Thanks for doing this Logan!

Aaron

I'm just an amateur musician and recording "engineer".
    So far I've only listened with headphones. I haven't had a chance to listen on some good speakers yet. I do my
    mixing entirely through headphones because I've got some major loss of high frequencies in my left ear and
    rather severe tinnitus in both ears. Using headphones I can compensate somewhat using eq on the left side only.
    The trouble is trying to find out which frequencies to boost and how much.
    So, for what it's worth, here are my observations.

1. overall tone is a little dull. I like the use of the vocal delays throughout. Toms are too forward. Guitars too far back.

2. acoustic guitar too boomy. I like the way the reverb cuts out before the transition. But, the transition
    from the quiet-acoustic-clean guitar part to the loud distorted guitar part is too abrupt. Good drums. guitars
    rise in volume and the shrill tone is too excessive as the song progresses.

3. Intro vocal tone is to middy. Guitars too thin. Good snare sound. Bass guitar sounds nice. Volume levels
    seem to be randomly brought up and down.

4. Great intro! Great arrangement! Great tone! Bass guitar is a little to prominent for my taste. As a result, the vocals seem to be too far in the background sometimes. But they have a really good tone. The rise in the

level of the cymbals near the end bugs me. I dropped it in my own mix by 6db(if I remember correctly) at that point.

5. Dead space after intro is too long. Vocals a bit too loud. bass guitar needs a bit more presence.

6. Intro sounds good except for the vocal verb. The a-capella vocals sound real nice. After that, the guitars are too thin and the vocal dynamics are uneven.

7. Don't like the mono reverb. Drums are a bit loud. Especially the toms. The guitar feedback is distracting.

Overall dynamics are too uneven. Same problem as with mix #4 where the cymblas rise in level near the end.

8. Good intro. Nice vocal delay. Drums are too far back, but have a nice tone. Some of the guitars are too far forward. Overall lacks punch.

9. Whoa! Real bassy. Nice touch leaving the drums out during the quiet part. Can't really hear what the rest sounds like because of the bass.

10. Tremolo guitar is a bit too prominent during the intro. The snare doubles bug me. The entire mix seems somehow dull. Nice end.

11. Scratch/kick at the beginning sounds odd. Other than that and the high pitched feedback, i like the overall tone of the mix. The transition from the intro was real nice. Nice end.

12. Nice overall sound, but the bass guitar is too loud. Nice drums.

Dick

Default Mix #9

dick cox wrote:

9. Whoa! Real bassy. Nice touch leaving the drums out during the quiet part. Can't really hear what the rest sounds like because of the bass.

I wonder if Lynn could put a "bag over my head" button next to the "reply" button? Well, let's imagine it's engaged....

Ok, I'm mix 9. Here's what happened.

Those who have followed the mixtrav3 thread might recall that I had said things had been really busy but I still wanted to try to get a mix in. I'm really glad I did. It affirmed what we all know...no matter what monitors you use, you have to learn them.

Springtime was the first mix that I did on my shiny new pair of Dynaudio BM6's (powered by a Hafler P3000). They replaced a pair of Event 2020bas that I have been using for years. The level of detail between these monitors is very different. And so was the low end!!

Making matters worse, my safety valve for low end problems was a pretty horrible factory-installed sub that was in our Subaru. Well, we had just gotten a different car, so I didn't have that to check my mix on.

For those learning about this stuff, that's why there are mastering engineers. They have calibrated systems and they can tell you if things are out of whack. Us project guys sometimes have to take our own shot at mastering because of budgets. As we all know, you don't want to be doing "mastering" on a brand new set of monitors, especially without your other usual reference speakers.

Last night, I tried a quick EQ adjustment to see if I could identify the problem frequencies. I usually use Waves, but I recently got the Sonitus EQ and used that as a DirectX plug in Samplitude. I would imagine that Waves or other digital EQs should be pretty close to what I found yesterday. I didn't want to do surgery...more like broad mastering EQ changes. So, I pulled -4 db at 60 Hz (Q = 0.8) and added +3 db at 4000 Hz (Q = 0.6) to deal with the out of balance issues with this mix.

If anyone who has the disk is inclined to try these EQ changes, that'd be great. If you do, please let me know if this makes the mix a bit more listenable. But, you'll still have to ignore the drums in the intro and the wimpy snare throughout. In my hurrying to get this mix in, I engaged a gate on the drum submix for a short time and that's what's up with the cymbals right at the beginning. Good move, huh? And I just didn't have time to work the drums to where I'd like them - especially the snare.

Thanks to all who have participated and especially Logan for all his work. A great learning experience!

John

Well, Iíll try and post this again. I got half way through my post and it just disappeared. Iím going to type it out in MS word then copy to a new post.

Preface: I have listened to all of the songs several times both in my studio and on my Dodge Truck stereo (the unforgiving , humblizer Ė if something is not right, the truck knows). My studio monitors are Event ASP8ís with a Tannoy sub. I listened to all of the mixes at about 85 db as measured with a sound level meter. As far as arrangement type comments, mine are personal preferences only. I respect the artistic license taken by those who have deviated from the mainstay regardless of whether my comments seem negative or positive.

(Somehow, I feel like Iím jumping off a bridge and not sure whether someone is at the bottom holding a safety net. I donít want to offend anyone and Iím not sure Iím qualified to pass judgement as Iíve only been recording for about 3 years. Iíve been playing guitar in rock bands for over 40 years (and still play out with a classic rock band) so Iím sure Iíve developed some opinions as to what I think music should sound like, but Iím also sure Iíve lost a few db of hearing in the upper frequencies.)

Here goes:

1. The vocal seems a bit dull in the intro. The drum EQ could be a bit more present (the snare seems a touch dull and has a bit too much reverb, at times). The distorted guitars are a bit bright, but in general they sound very good. I really liked the delay on the vocals going into the outro. Overall EQ: Seemed like it might have been a few db to high from about 500 to 2K Hz.

2. A bit too much verb on the intro guitars. Too much kick drum in the first 75% of the song. The distorted guitars seemed buzzy to my ears (a little bright). The vocals sounded very good. Overall EQ: Sounded OK.

3. The vocal seemed to have a ďhonkeyĒ quality on my system. At times, the mix seemed very centered almost like it was dual mono instead of stereo. The drums levels, eq, spacing was very nice. Overall EQ: Sounded good.

4. The additional vocals/vocal effects detracted from a wonderful mix (please see preface). The guitars sounded great. The mix was very well balanced. I really liked the intro. Overall EQ: very good.

5. Too much space between the intro and the rest of the song. The distorted guitars sounded hollow and a bit too prominent as rhythm guitars (a problem I have myself as a guitar player). I also hear some phasing in the distorted guitars. In general, the stereo spread was nice as was the vocal tone and level. Overall EQ: Maybe a few db too much from 500 to 2K Hz.

6. Maybe too much short verb on the vocals. I almost sounded like doubling at times. The snare seemed a bit too prominent at times. Overall though, the drums sounded good as did the guitars. Overall EQ: Maybe a few db too high between 500 and 2k Hz.

7. The vocal level was a bit too low in the intro and the distorted rhythm guitars we a bit too loud. The toms could come down a few db. The acoustic guitars sounded good. Overall EQ: OK

8. The distorted guitar levels could be a little higher at the early transitions and a little lower later in the song. At times, the kick drum is a bit too prominent. The distorted guitar tone was very good. The Bass guitar level and tone were also very well balanced in the mix. The acoustic guitars sounded very nice. Overall EQ: Maybe a few db to much from 500 to 3k Hz.

9. Too much bass guitar in the mix. Too much kick in the mix. (Possibly too much compression on the mix buss). The vocals take on a duller tone about 3 minutes into the song (maybe affected by the bass and kick). The guitars seem to get phasey later in the song. The bass guitar tone is fantastic. The vocal and guitar only in mid-song was very nice. Overall EQ: Pretty heavy on the bottom end.

10. Too much tremolo on the clean electric guitar and not enough acoustic guitar (again, this is a personal preference thing). Drums donít provide enough impact transitioning from the intro to the rest of the song. Tremolo gutars are a bit prominent in the song body. The vocal tone and level wee very nice. Overall EQ: Good.

11. The mix lacked some dynamics. It seemed pretty squashed to me. However, the vocals sounded very good and sit well in the mix. Overall the mix is nice. I really liked the distorted guitar tone and level. Overall EQ: Maybe a few db to high from 300 to 2K Hz.

12. Maybe a bit too much kick drum at times. The vocals sound very good and sit well in the mix. The dynamics are nice. The drums sound good and sit well in the mix. All of the guitars sound great. Overall EQ: All frequencies seem to be well balanced.

Here is how I ranked my favorites: 12, 4, 11, and 10. But remember, my opinion probably means very little. I have a feeling that if all of the songs were to be mastered, and the levels brought up, we would see fewer differences in the mixes.

This is a lot of fun and very enlightening. (OK, did you guys drop the net and run or will I hit the net and survive this?)

Thanks,
    Greg

A second hats off tho who ever did mix number three on Logan's tune! I hardly recognized that it was the same song, and I mean that in the best possible way. Nice playing, nice timing and great tuning.

I didn't have time to mix anything myself. Logan, I only got one CD, so I can't comment on the other song and mixes.

Steve

Steve
    I'm sorry you didn't get the Springtime mixes I must have missed that package, I thought I'd checked them all before I sealed them. I'll mail out another ASAP. Take care Logan

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Murray
    Steve
    I'm sorry you didn't get the Springtime mixes I must have missed that package, I thought I'd checked them all before I sealed them. I'll mail out another ASAP. Take care Logan
    Don't worry about it, Logan. With the way the mail is, the discussion will be pretty much over by the time it gets to the states anyway.

Steve

Steve
    I'll try to get one out anyway, you paid the fee and should get the goods. I've been down with a flu for over a week and haven't had the energy to really get involved in the discissions so I have some reactions and some questions still to ask. Take care Logan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast