Thread: Pro Tools "Error -9035"-Just so you know

Default Pro Tools "Error -9035"-Just so you know

I don't know if anyone else has stumped their toe on this one, but thought I'd share in the interest of saving you all the time it cost me.

If you read the FAQs at Digi's answerbase, you'll find that -9035 has to do with running out of disk space and they suggest allocating less in the disk allocation. Forget it.

I'll spare you the details and cut straight to the solution.

If you ever get valid soundfiles but they won't play after importing into PT, check the length of the file names in the file structure. If the name is too long, even of the parent file for the session, then chances are you'll get an error -9035. The file name I was dealing with was "Walkin' the Floor Over You - pro "

In the IMPORT AUDIO window, each file would play. But import them into the session and I would get an error message as soon as I hit play. After trying about a dozen possible fixes, a friend (engineer Bob Clark) suggested shortening the folder name. I changed it to "Walkin the Floor" and it worked fine.

DANG. How easy was that? Why it's not on the Digi site where everybody can find it is beyond me.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc
    I don't know if anyone else has stumped their toe on this one, but thought I'd share in the interest of saving you all the time it cost me.

If you read the FAQs at Digi's answerbase, you'll find that -9035 has to do with running out of disk space and they suggest allocating less in the disk allocation. Forget it.

If you ever get valid soundfiles but they won't play after importing into PT, check the length of the file names in the file structure. If the name is too long, even of the parent file for the session, then chances are you'll get an error -9035. The file name I was dealing with was "Walkin' the Floor Over You - pro "

In the IMPORT AUDIO window, each file would play. But import them into the session and I would get an error message as soon as I hit play. After trying about a dozen possible fixes, a friend (engineer Bob Clark) suggested shortening the folder name. I changed it to "Walkin the Floor" and it worked fine.

DANG. How easy was that? Why it's not on the Digi site where everybody can find it is beyond me.
    I think that bad old bug is fixed 6.9 and above.

HG is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Honestly, their a pack of morons!

Just look at their upgrade webpages, they're a mess. Try and find the right upgrade, the additional patch etc etc it's a nightmare. In the forums, 99% of the advice comes from a few select guys who don't even work for Digidesign, ie. it's all self-help!!

How they have ever got this far is unbelievable!

When you're calling somebody else a moron in a post you should really check your spelling

Non-standard characters and symbols in a file name can also give you a -9035. PT might not have liked your "."

In defense of Digidesign, all this information is definitely in the AnswerBase. Just type in -9035 for "all Mac."

From the AnswerBase regarding -9035...

This is a design limitation.

This error message will appear if a Pro Tools session has more than 31 characters for the name in the American OS (or more than 15 characters in the Japanese OS).
    Also could be caused by using illegal characters ^ ! < > / ( ) - ;
    or international characters from other languages (any characters in the Extended ASCII set. example ).
    Workaround:
    Rename the session with 31 or less characters in American Mac Operating system.
    Rename the session with 15 or less Japanese characters in Japanese Mac Operating System.
    Lee Blaske

Default Q

Quote Originally Posted by HG
    Honestly, their a pack of morons!
    Nice!!!!

Just look at their upgrade webpages, they're a mess. Try and find the right upgrade, the additional patch etc etc it's a nightmare. In the forums, 99% of the advice comes from a few select guys who don't even work for Digidesign, ie. it's all self-help!!

How they have ever got this far is unbelievable!
    Name one high tech company ever, that has had manuals, online support and compatibility docs anywhere near as useful or complete as Digi? I use PT for a living mainly because it is so well supported.
    Steve Devino
    Granite Rocks Recording Studios
    www.graniterocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Non-standard characters and symbols in a file name can also give you a -9035. PT might not have liked your "."
    That's not it for sure. There were 12 other songs on the drive with that same identical character and all the others played fine.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I've seen 9035s pop up because a folder in the path contained an illegal character.