Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should we speak?

Default How should we speak?

"Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer every one."

Colossians 4:6, Revised Standard

The Living Bible and Amplified Bible give slightly different interpretations.

"Let your conversation be gracious as well as sensible, for then you will have the right answer for everyone."

"Let your speech at all times be gracious (pleasant and winsome), seasoned [as it were] with salt, [so that you may never be at a loss] to know how you ought to answer any one [who puts a question to you]."

I ran across this in my reading yesterday and felt it reinforced the type of communication that is encouraged here.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Great quote, Lynn. Something I've been thinking about a lot lately as I've begun to realize how often I add fuel to the fires with my words. When you get into confrontations with people you can choose words that add fuel to the flames, or choose words that can help douse the flames. In either case your words might hold the same meaning, but seasoning your words with graciousness can really help to ease the tension.

I would add Proverbs 15: 1 ďA soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.Ē
    I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know the hope of His calling... Eph. 1:18

This is awesome to talk about.

Ephesians 4:15 (NASB)

but speaking the truth in love,...

This reminds me that speaking the truth is NOT enough.
    It must be tempered and seasoned in Love.

In other words, make sure your compressor has a high ratio and threshold before it hits tape..
    "It is important to have a good tool. But, even if it is the best possible, it is only a tool. No implement can ever take the place of the guiding intelligence that wields it. A very bad tool will ruin the work of the best craftsman; but a good tool in bad hands is no better."

Theodore Roosevelt
    History as Lit.

Wonderful thoughts. Great passages......

But you know what?.....As I've read and thought about responding to several recent posts here (and instances in my everyday life, too), I've been made to feel that no matter how well-meant or how much good intent it's offered with, ...........even if I make what I consider to be an innocuous comment , I'm always going to offend SOMEONE!!! Even if related to a conversation, I honestly believe I could say" The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain"............and SOMEONE would get offended!!!!!

Being mindful of what we say and respectful of everyone's sensitivities just seems impossible in a world that wears it's feelings on it's sleeve. It's really hard to constantly think of every conceivable way an opinion, a response or even a joke can be taken.

So...........no offense intended ( but I bet some will be taken........) ............

James 3-19/20

Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters! Let every person be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger. For human anger does not accomplish Godís righteousness.

. . . The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain"............
    My Fair Lady?

One of the very great lessons for me it is that we cannot 100% understand our impact on another, when we are in sleep, and thus isolated from the energy which unites us.

Often we think they react because of their over-sensitivity. But more than not, it is because - no matter what we say - (e.g., The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain"............) ESPECIALLY IN THIS MEDIUM , we really are out of touch with the "in Love" that was mentoned above. And we are out of touch, when we are not in touch. So, a truthful and humble person will always begin afresh - a renewal - to be reconnected. It is not always possible to get it right (through a kind of grace), but many times it is possible to begin searching again. (It is a reset button.)

Also, there are times when we are under so much internal tension that what comes out, is just not under any control. Thanks that this is not all that often.

Regards,
    Mark
    Mark Kramer
    www.thejazzmall.com

formula to live by

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

In a way a agree with Mr. 'stereotype' in that with internet communication it is very difficult to read the intent and capture the spirit with which words were spoken/written. I'm sure that if we were all out at the pub together having these same conversations over a beer that we'd all be having a great time.

As long as we're quoteing scripture, James 3:2-12 is one of my favorites on the subject.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Good Words....

We had a "meadeator" in over some goofy office stuff a long while back.She quoted all these;only paraphrased them.I ask at a lunch break if she knew Chapter and Verse;she just smiled and said yes.The whole week then took on new meaning for me.We still e-mail each other because of that connection.
    Dennis Jones
    Technical Director
    WNCW-FM www.wncw.org
    3D Audio V.I.P.

When it comes to lively exchanges of view among a diverse group of folks in internet forums, I believe an observation by Jean Cocteau hits the nail on the head...

"Tact consists in knowing how far to go in going too far."

Lee Blaske

yep, the old phrase 'treat others like you would like to be treated' comes to mind also...

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Speaking as a well - established ruffian and rabble rouser

Most research supports the theory that anywhere from 50-75% of what we interpret from communication is non-verbal (or in this case, non-seen...) This is where I get into trouble: many times I enter something that when taken purely in written page form, means one thing....but without the non verbal cues, is often misinterpreted. On any forum, you don't see the eyes of the speaker, nor does the speaker see the eyes of the receipient...

Yes...it is difficult to speak passionately about any topic, be it preamps or politics, without the non verbal cues...taking the advice as posted by Lynn's Biblical passage is prudent and wise, however, I would also offer that since the recipients of any messages here (or any other written form) be aware they are receiving only a portion of the actual message...thus may not be correctly interpreting the actual content. And yes, I think we are all guilty of this.

Just so you know....I am smiling and setting in an open posture while posting this - and my eyes (hopefully) are sending the message that perception and interpretation is just as important as text....
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast