Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kick and bass

Default Kick and bass

Hey,

I have a bit of a hard time mixing a kick and a bass mostly on a part of the tune.
    the bass is playing around F F# and G and it conflicts with the kick which I boosted around 80-100hz. If I don't boost my kick it seems to flat. The bass sounds very good alone and not eq-ued. I checked and it has a lot of bottom around the 80-120 area.

How to have both bottom and definition here ?

HG is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Get the whole kit balanced on its own first. ie the whole kit mixed nicely, good relative levels. Then bring up the bass, compress, eq so it sits well with the kit.

If you need to, sub group the kit and bass to a stereo buss and apply a multiband comp and choose a drumkit preset ie, attack set to allow the initial note and fast release. Generally speaking these get the kit pumped a bit. You might want to turn off the 3 upper bands, so that the bottoms and mid lows are only being effected. Compare this to a cd track of just bass and drums to see if your bass eq compares. Speakers never lie that way. I have a U2 song snippet I compare to for bottom end for example.

Bring your mix in around this platform.

"Get the whole kit balanced on its own first. ie the whole kit mixed nicely, good relative levels. Then bring up the bass, compress, eq so it sits well with the kit. "

My problem is when I bring up the bass I have a good balance overall except for the moment where it plays in the bottom around the G conflicting with the bottom of the kick. What eq could work best knowing that the kick is boosted around 80hz.

HG is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Why does anything need to be boosted? It needs to be balanced right? forget the eq, do a static mix ie no eq, first, then bring up the bass. Then you have a mix right?

What your saying is, 'when I screw up the eq I have this problem', well, don't screw it up. Get the static mix working then right at the end after your nearly finished mixing the entire song, experiment with a little 60 hz on the kick maybe. print the mix then look at it in an anylyser etc. Compare to retail cd's in the same genre. etc. experiment. You might not have a problem at all?

Quote Originally Posted by pickboy
    "Get the whole kit balanced on its own first. ie the whole kit mixed nicely, good relative levels. Then bring up the bass, compress, eq so it sits well with the kit. "

My problem is when I bring up the bass I have a good balance overall except for the moment where it plays in the bottom around the G conflicting with the bottom of the kick. What eq could work best knowing that the kick is boosted around 80hz.
    You may need to make some room for it on the soundstage. I often pan the kick a little left...around 10:30-11:00 with the snare between the kick and the 12:00 position, then pan the bass right to around 12:05 with the vocal panned further out to the right around 1:30. It can give the drums and bass ome space while still keeping the LF centered and the vocal up front. this really translates well to car stereos too as the driver has a better reading on the lead vocal and the passenger doesn't know the difference anyway.
    Doug Joyce
    Animix Productions

what about phase? tried to flip it (on bass)?
    Matous Godik
    www.zka4t.com

Quote Originally Posted by animix
    ...with the vocal panned further out to the right around 1:30. .... this really translates well to car stereos too as the driver has a better reading on the lead vocal ....
    ?? Do they drive only British cars in Colorado? Shouldn't the vocal be panned to the _left if you wanted to favor the driver?

Thanks guys,

The routing kick and bass and the pan stuff helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by joeq
    ?? Do they drive only British cars in Colorado? Shouldn't the vocal be panned to the _left if you wanted to favor the driver?
    If the driver is facing forward (which I would hope to be the case) and the vocal is on his right, it would be more obvious. Maybe we're thinking differently about L & R as far as panning goes. I reference my panning relative to my L & R if I'm facing something.

Doug Joyce
    Animix Productions

Quote Originally Posted by animix
    If the driver is facing forward (which I would hope to be the case) and the vocal is on his right, it would be more obvious. Maybe we're thinking differently about L & R as far as panning goes. I reference my panning relative to my L & R if I'm facing something.

no, just thinking differently about what is obvious. I can see now what you mean- that there is a straighter path from the right speaker to my ear, and that the left speaker is pointed at my knee, usually. So better HF from the right speaker certainly, especially with no passenger.

But since the left one is much closer, and the whole door is usually resonating in most cars I often have to add volume to the right channel to feel like I am in the 'middle' when driving. I had a car that had tweeters in the dash as well as speakers in the door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast