Thread: Stephen Paul hooks up with Studio Projects

Screws Guest

Stephen Paul hooks up with Studio Projects

According to Mixonline, Stephen Paul, illustrious genius of vintage mic modifications and inventor of the sub micron diaphragm has signed a deal with Studio Projects to design a mic.

Read it here.

Mixonline

Very interesting...I've been reading on SP's discussion group that he's been working on this for a while (the mic, I mean). I'm glad to see that his project may finally come to fruition. I've already stated on his forum that I'd buy a pair...I think I'll steer this boat over there and see what they're chatting about tonight.

Hopefully, SP's mics will be another product in the "You don't have to be big to be great" division. You know...the Great River/Buzz Audio type of goodies. I'd wager that they will be stunning.
    John Whitmer

"They didn't want it good, they wanted it Wednesday."
    --Robert A. Heinlein

Actually, its not that Stephen hooked up with Studio Projects, but I am funding a project that has been a lifelong dream for Stephen.

PMI Audio Group will distribute the line worldwide, but Stephen is not partnered in Studio Projects, although he has offered his knowledge and assistance to me if I want it.

My view is that Stephen Paul Microphones should be just that, and that Studio Projects keep doing what it does best. Offer good quality sounding mics with consistency at a low price.

We hired Brent Casey from MXL. He is a great designer and has lots of ideas for us at Studio Projects. I have relinquished the designing duties as I have so much to do now with Stephen Paul, the new Toft Audio, and the new electronics line from Studio Projects.

Brent came to us as he has many ideas that he was not allowed to do. I have given him complete freedom to do what he wants. I will still oversee the entire line and review everything, but I trust Brent to make Studio Projects an even better line of microphones.

I hope this explanation helps a bit.

Alan Hyatt
    PMI Audio Group
    Alan Hyatt
    PMI Audio Group
    alan@pmiaudio.com

Hi, Alan...

Glad to have the whole picture...thanks. I was on SP's board last night, and he made mention of making a deposit to reserve mics from the first run. I couldn't find any place on your site to do this...did I misunderstand? I'm itching to send you/SP a deposit for at least two of them, and maybe more.
    John Whitmer

--Robert A. Heinlein

John, sounds like you're familiar with the Studio Projects line. Do you prefer the C1 or the C3?

Thanks

troggg-man,

Sorry, no direct experience...I've only heard comments from a few friends. On the other hand, I've gotten to play with SP-modified Neumanns on a couple of occasions. Absolutely unbelievable. Words can't really do justice to what this guy can do with a mic...it's like looking out a window that has been freshly cleaned...or even better, with the glass completely removed. Nothing in between, if that makes sense.
    John Whitmer

--Robert A. Heinlein

John,

We have not finalized the deposit issue just yet, but we will next week. We just want to be sure that we build enough to make sure those who want them get them.

Right now we are just busy getting everything ready and finished. Stephen has a little more work to do, but then we can begin building them, so that is why I keep saing end of year or January.

The deposit will be small, but non refundable because we will build quantities based on orders on the first run. So, we will let all of this information out soon.

regards,

Alan Hyatt
    Alan Hyatt
    PMI Audio Group
    alan@pmiaudio.com

alan,
    this is jake from krew media (peter and i were at your office the other day!) didn't know you frequent the 3d audio board...
    anyways...just wonderin' what the msrp on these mics will be? hope all is well!
    IN HIS SPIRIT
    kk

Alan,

I own a number of your Studio Project mics and love them; Ive put them to the test against most of the heavies out there and have been mighty pleased!

Please post any information about the deposit procedure here, if you get a chance. Im very interested!

Damon
    www.valvetone.com - Mastering for the Rest of Us
    www.tritonedigital.com - TriTone Digital Plugins

Hey KK,

Yeah, I get around to a few sites. Always looking for ideas!!!

Damon,

Thanks, Glad you like the mics. We try hard to ensure the quality is consistent. The Stephen Paul thing will will pan out soon, but we have a bunch of things to do before we put the deposit program in place. Look for it in the next few weeks!

Alan Hyatt
    PMI Audio Group
    Alan Hyatt
    PMI Audio Group
    alan@pmiaudio.com