Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here speak Jecklin?

Thanks to everyone for the links, but what I was REALLY hoping for were first-hand experiences from folks who have tried it with ensembles of all sizes in varying acoustics.

I just ordered an M-B for sessions next weekend-- I will report back.

Rich
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Mays
    what I was REALLY hoping for were first-hand experiences from folks who have tried it with ensembles of all sizes in varying acoustics.
    I made one from 5mm board (masonite) + foam + faux fur. I recorded a pipe organ using AKG C480/omni. I didn't like the result at all. Dull, with a funny, unnatural timbre. I'm just an amateur so take it for what it's worth. There could be any number of things that were wrong. For instance the disc might be too reflective leading to comb filtering. I suspect that's what I'm hearing. It could also be that I happened to find a bad spot in an acoustically tricky stone church... or it could be that this is what JDs sound like... I've since used AB (50-60cm) from similar distance from the instrument with much better result and I have no good explanation for the difference.

best regards
    Lars
    --
    lars farm // http://www.farm.se
    lars is also a mail-account at the server farm.se

Some great information here! Does anyone have experience using the disc in a live concert situation? I sometimes get no choice on mic placement and no sound check. Is this pattern as forgiving as ORTF or spaced omni?
    Don Spaulding
    Symphonic Sound
    WWW.SYMPHONICSOUND.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Don S
    Some great information here! Does anyone have experience using the disc in a live concert situation? I sometimes get no choice on mic placement and no sound check. Is this pattern as forgiving as ORTF or spaced omni?

I use it 80% of the time in a live setting. I dont know much about spaced omni, but i find it more forgiving than most of the other "typical" configs. Near Coincident/Coincident techniques rely on sound intensity (level),and time delays (phase relationships), to get results. OSS/Jecklin also uses subtle variations in the way that different frequency ranges are picked up, acting like our ears, picking up frequencies below 200 Hz equally. But as the frequencies increase/pitches rise, the disk (like a human head) blocks more sound, and the mics (like human ears) increasingly operate more directionally.very natural, rich soundstage...precise imaging...im in love with it....being that the jecklin more closely resembles our own analog ears...id say it is more forgiving than a lot of these techniques that are based off of "creating" an effect rather than mimicing our own hearing system..

Just ordered the Jecklin disc from MBHO ... Very curious how it will sound with my Schoeps MK2 ...
    Ivo

VELVET MASTERING
    www.velvetmastering.com

SAVITA MUSIC
    www.savita.cz

Ivo,

I will anxiously await your opinion!

Don Spaulding
    Symphonic Sound
    WWW.SYMPHONICSOUND.COM

Default Jecklin

I record a choir with a Jecklin disc made in acoustic foam and a pair of Avenson mic, the sound his a bit dark, I have probably a comb filtering efect. I try to cover the foam with fur.
    I found that the commercial disc his to expensive.

If you look at the first post in this thread and read the linked paper you will see two covering s described. If your disc is not covered then I am quite sure you are experiencing comb filtering if the mic capsule is the specified 8cm from the surface.

My M-B disc arrived today in time for sessions tomorrow, but on first impression this is an excellent quality item (as well it should be for $260). The angle of the disc is adjustable via the rotation of the disc with several holes around the circumference-- the mounting piece can be relocated to another hole.

I will report back on the disc's maiden voyage tomorrow with small instrumental ensemble and choir.

Rich
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

Default MBHO disc

Hello everyone, what a great topic, I have been recording choir with the MBHO Schnieder disc using DPA 4006 with the medium and large pressure equalizers and really like the improved imaging over spaced (32 to 40 inches) omni configuration. I think OSS produces very natural and realistic imaging.

Well, after two encounters with the M-B Jecklin I am SMITTEN. All of the imaging of spaced cardioids and all the sound of omnis. This is with a small chamber group and choral ensemble as well as a chamber music encounter tonight (Beethoven quartet, vln and guitar, and Dvorak quintet). A somewhat wet acoustic and a fairly dry one-- doesn't seem to matter. Both times the capsules were Schoeps MK2H-- the preamps were M222 and CMC6.

The real test is a solo piano in a few days-- that will tell the tale!

Rich
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast