Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here speak Jecklin?

Default A Jecklin is a what?

Quote Originally Posted by Fran Guidry
    Rich, I am but a lowly amateur home recordist, but the J Disk has become my number one tool.
    Hi Fran and group...
    Because of discussions via e-mail with both Fran and Doug Young, I've built a Jeckin Disc. It yeilds pleasing and natural recordings. Great separation without the artificial feel of more extreme A/B with cardioid mics.

We've been using it in our small production studio for uses which are neither orchestral nor choral. We have been doing tests (with good results) with acoustic guitars, and today with an upright bass.

We built the disc free standing (mounts with a microphone fitting to a mic stand) and use two other mic stands to position a Peluso CEM C6 with omni capsule on either side. The results are pleasing to the ear, mix well when layered with other tracks, and sound good through speakers as well as spectacular in headphones (as expected).

My current ''working disc'' is built with a 12'' disc cut from ''science project'' foamcore board. We covered this on either side with a new ''foam substitute'' used for recushioning patio furniture. It is a fiber material which is very light and similar in resilience to sponge-type foam. It is so light you can easily breathe through a two inch piece, but it is really 'dead' and soaks up speech when one talks into it...and hopefully all other sounds.

I cut a 12 inch disc of a 2'' section of it, and pulled & peeled it apart into two discs just under 3/4'' thick each - which I glued to each side of the foamcore. I disassembled a mic clip and stole the clip, bolt and nut to mount it to the disc.

I bought faux fleece (as per directions on various sites) to cover our disc with, but am reconsideing it since the fiber - when pulled apart - yielded a softer surface than even the fleece (& hopefully at least as neutral as fleece).

The shopping trip was fun, as people in fabric departments are not accustomed to aging males wandering the faux fleece aisles, lifting and speaking and singing into fleece...by the looks received I deduced this.

Just wanted to share...

Larry J

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...B1F93ZISIWVGOM

Piano>>schoeps MK2S>>"authentic"jecklin disc>>DAV BG-1>>>Sound Devices 722

dither to 16/44.1 file using POW-R 3 type # 3 in Samplitude
    So when you say "authentic", I guess you mean it's built around a vinyl LP?

Haigbabe
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Haigbabe
    So when you say "authentic", I guess you mean it's built around a vinyl LP?

Haigbabe

no, I meant commercial instead of homeade. I think the one I bought was made in the 80s.

Teddy

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Mays
    Well, after two encounters with the M-B Jecklin I am SMITTEN. All of the imaging of spaced cardioids and all the sound of omnis. This is with a small chamber group and choral ensemble as well as a chamber music encounter tonight (Beethoven quartet, vln and guitar, and Dvorak quintet). A somewhat wet acoustic and a fairly dry one-- doesn't seem to matter. Both times the capsules were Schoeps MK2H-- the preamps were M222 and CMC6.
    Hi Rich,

A newbie here (I first conversed with you on RO some time ago). I know you just started using your Jecklin, but wonder if you have any insight on the following --- namely,

1. I know that cap spacing from the disc surface is critical, but is the angle of incidence from the JD surface also critical? I'm wondering if one were to use something like the Shure A53M or Schoeps shockmounts on the JD as opposed to a simple cheapo mic clip, if it would make a difference .... the mount would be further out from the JD and thus you might even need to angle the mics IN to get the proper distance...

2. I read somewhere that better imaging and timbre can be had be placing the caps toward the front of the JD as opposed to dead center. Thoughts/experience?

3. Have you tried the MK5 in omni on your JD?

I'm also looking to get feedback on the MK5 vs separate caps MK2S and MK4, not just with respect to JD use, but in general for a future purchase. Probably fodder for another thread.

Cheers,
    Mike

Im not Mr. Mays, but

the MK2(S), MK2(H) , MK21, and MK41 are , IMHO better choices for this sort of recording. Not only have I heard differences and prefer them by a large margin, but when seeking advice on which pairs to get, the MK4 and regular mk2 never got mentioned. All of the above did.

Looking out my window and being able to see the Schoeps plant doesnt hurt either.

“1. I know that cap spacing from the disc surface is critical, but is the angle of incidence from the JD surface also critical? I'm wondering if one were to use something like the Shure A53M or Schoeps shockmounts on the JD as opposed to a simple cheapo mic clip, if it would make a difference .... the mount would be further out from the JD and thus you might even need to angle the mics IN to get the proper distance...”

Just to be precise it is the intercapsule spacing(not the capsule to disc distance that is critical since the thickness of the disc may vary from one disc design to another).

But to answer your question:

At the last AES meeting I asked David Josephson (head of Josephson Microphones and a seller of the Jecklin diskthat I purchased-yes I like it) this very question. Basically he said they’re OMNI’s( in reference to my Josephson C617/MK221 mics that I was using) so NO it doesn’t matter if you have to angle them in a little to get the proper capsule spacing with the J disk. That said even omni’s have some directionality at higher frequencies so I can imagine that extreme in-toeing might make some difference.

To avoid severe in-toeing and yet get some shock isolation I use AT8471 mounts-they fit very well the 21mm diameter body of the Josephson’s. In the first link below you can see a picture. The part that holds the mic is thick/firm rubber with a turn knob that allows you to clamp down tight on the mic. (and the price is right, MSRP $32 )

For a picture of the the AT8471 isolation mount:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...9db/index.html

For other AT mic mounts see:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bi...rch/gen/gen.pl

Bill

Would anyone be willing to post a comparison of a recording with Jecklin disc and without?

Thanks!

If you read German, this is a very interesting paper about different baffled stereophonic systems. Some time ago there were also some sound samples. I am not sure if they are still there, because this is an archived version of the paper.
    Regards Hermann

http://web.archive.org/web/200202231.../hud_dipl.html

and on mk2 for jecklin,:The Jecklin disk would definitely sound more muddy using two MK2 capsules because of the "flat" response..(the Jecklin disk causes some loss of HF brilliance due to interferences and absorption on the disk that can be
    compensated by the capsules frequency response). MK2S or MK2H would be a better choice..

The good news about microphones and disks is that theory and practice
    goes hand in hand: You can clearly hear the differences and influeces
    that cause colorations. These colorations you can see with freq. response measurements!

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

A colleague reminded me today about the Iso Mike.

Just in case people don't know of it, here is a link...

http://www.kimber.com/IsoMike/Default.aspx

It's a bit like the Crocodile Dundee line of "..that's not a baffle, THIS, is a baffle..."

Haigbabe
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast