Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here speak Jecklin?

Quote Originally Posted by hughes_ttl
    Hi Rich,
    1. I know that cap spacing from the disc surface is critical, but is the angle of incidence from the JD surface also critical? I'm wondering if one were to use something like the Shure A53M or Schoeps shockmounts on the JD as opposed to a simple cheapo mic clip, if it would make a difference .... the mount would be further out from the JD and thus you might even need to angle the mics IN to get the proper distance...
    I really doubt it since we are dealing with omnis. Is there a difference? Maybe, but even back-to-back could we say what is *correct*?

2. I read somewhere that better imaging and timbre can be had be placing the caps toward the front of the JD as opposed to dead center. Thoughts/experience?
    I find it hard to believe that aiming ANY mic away from the primary source would be *better* but your ears may be different!

3. Have you tried the MK5 in omni on your JD?
    NO, but I shoudl try that as the MK5 in omni is closer to MK2S thatn the MK2H which I have not cared for. People with very good ears and equally respectfu credentials swear by the MK2S and M-B JD.

I'm also looking to get feedback on the MK5 vs separate caps MK2S and MK4, not just with respect to JD use, but in general for a future purchase. Probably fodder for another thread.
    I have done such comparisons, and beyond saying that they acheive the various patterns physically rather than electrically (which gives you a true pressure omni) I can only say that they each have an individual sound-- your either like it or you don't.

Rich
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Mays
    I find it hard to believe that aiming ANY mic away from the primary source would be *better* but your ears may be different!
    I didn't mean that the caps point toward the front of the JD --- I mean that the caps move FORWARD toward the front edge of the JD, i.e., the caps are not located at the centerline of the disc.

Thanks for your info...

Mike

Wouldn't that somewhat defeat the purpose of the disc-- to give separation to the upper frequencies?

Rich
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

Wouldn't that somewhat defeat the purpose of the disc-- to give separation to the upper frequencies?
    Like Mike, I too was wondering about mic placement on a JD. Sure, for a given mic-pair, source, and room, the best positioning will be unique, and the point is to imitate the shading effect of a person's head. I expect that the various builders of dummy-head mics like Holophone, Soundfield, and Sennheiser have their own measurements of what a head does. But do you place your capsules longitudinally even with the center of the disk, and have you tried them a bit forward or aft of center, still aft of the front of the disk? Other Jecklin users please chime in too. Sorry to go on Rich, but your advice has been invaluable to me (soon to get that hotshot mic pair...). Thanks, Sam

A picture is worth 1000 words (so 2 are worth 2000?)

The mics are aimed at the players thanks to the fact that the disc itself can rotate because the stand fitting is movable.

Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

Here is something a bit bigger:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

...The mics are aimed at the players thanks to the fact that the disc itself can rotate because the stand fitting is movable.
    Thanks Rich, great pics! -Sam

Default Jecklin Disc &...

I received a Jecklin disc with my first Stellavox ensemble with B&K 4133s in 1986 [SM8 & TD9] and at the time, Georges Quellet [founder of Stellavox] suggested I use the Jecklin with the B&K's. I tried it but found it sounded too restrictive and unnatural.

I preferred an AB set up by far. The disc itself was about 12" in diameter [30cm] and made from a grey plastic [1/4" thick] with 1" acoustic foam glued to it.

As for TAKACS, I recorded them last year in Melbourne - great sound, and very happily in AB with the same [but modified a wee bit] Stella SM8 @ 15ips with BASF 468....I also recorded the Grammy Awarded "Il Giardino Armonico" a few months earlier in the same venue.

My camera crew were in awe when recording these incredible performers [I should also add Richard Tognetti and the ACO to this list...sublime].

I still use the Stellas very happily [with TLM50s and B&K 4135s] and you can hear some samples by visiting:

http://www.metaxas.com/pages/masnewfiles/recordings.htm

rgds

Kostas Metaxas
    EXERO HDTV
    www.exero.com

I've never had experience using a Jecklin disk, but am curious to know approximately how much high frequency loss is usual in this method.

Kind regards,

Dave

VERY little.

Rich
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast