Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silence Cases/Acoustilock

Default Silence Cases/Acoustilock

Does anyone here have experience with Silence Cases or Acoustilock computer enclosures? I've heard pros and cons on these cases vs. locating the computer in a machine room and have read a bit on the web but haven't seen many user reviews. Any users in here?

Thanks,

Mike

I've got an acoustilock 24 space cabinet about 4 years ago. It wasn't cheap but I'd buy another again in an instant if needed. I've got it loaded with stuff and it keeps the gear only a few degrees above the ambient temp of the room. To boot, it's nearly silent.

No cons here.

Jan,

Can you track a lead vocal or acoustic guitar in the same room as the computer now?

Thanks for your comments!

Mike

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

The biggest issue is to look for a company that is going to give you a noise reduction value... like -26dB or whatever. If they don't, don't buy, because there is no assurance of anything.

If you do get a rating, you can take a meaurement of the noise in your room with the computer on, take a measurement with it off, and see what their reduction rating will do for you.

Bill
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

In my experience, these systems do a poor job of isolating the vibrations coming out of the computer case and into your floor. That caused more of my noise problem than the acoustic noise of the computer.

You can probably do more good with one of the tower cases designed around quiet function, suspension mounting your hard drives in silence wrappers, using copper heatsinks with low speed fans, dynomatting the whole thing, etc.

The best solution is still a small hole in the dry wall for cables and putting it next door.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Jim, re: vibrations from the computer case... hadn't even thought of that... I am trying to compare the build-out cost for a machine room vs. one of these boxes.

Bill, the ambient (computer noise) in my control room is about 37dB. I'll check the manufacturer's specs.

When moving the computer into a different room (say 25' away) will cables do or do you need an extension box? How do handle one-off cd burns? (other than getting off my fat *** and walking to the computer)

Thanks for the input!

Mike

I have recorded in the control room without any noisefloor issues.

No vibration problems whatsoever. This thing is rock solid and the heat sink on the back weighs about 250lbs and the entire cabinet weighs about 400lbs...no vibration...period.

They rate the cabinet at -35db.

Here's what I've got in there:

192 x 3 (all with extra a/d cards)
    Sync i/o
    Rorke avr 2 bay scsi enclosure
    g5 2.5 Dual, full ram and full compliment of drives
    HD5 Accel
    Magma 64 bit expansion chassis
    Enough wire to choke a horse

I have a silence case and so far it performs quite well. I,ve recorded vocals right next to it with no problems. I have an Athalon with 2ide drives and a second firewire drive in the Silence case and they are pretty much inaudible.
    However, the problem with having a fast computer in the room with you is heat. If there was a way for me to move my machines into a machine room I certainly would. In fact i'm remodeling to do just that. The Silence case works ok but in my opinion is a band aid. Oh, it's also kinda large and you better not forget to keep the internal fans on the case running or you will have a lot of heat generated problems.
    VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Simmons
    I am trying to compare the build-out cost for a machine room vs. one of these boxes.
    A machine room is the right solution. In my case, my studio is in my home, and I cut a small hole into the living room (then stuffed with foam after pulling cable) where the studio computer sits behind the couch. It's quiet enough there not to disturb anyone, and ensures that *no* noise gets into my studio. I even went to the trouble to put a nice grommet into place, so it looks nice, too, even though no one would ever see it.

Bill, the ambient (computer noise) in my control room is about 37dB. I'll check the manufacturer's specs.
    Wow. That's outright *noisy*. My room runs about 30db with HVAC and computer on. I consider it quiet, but not nearly as quiet as some I've been in that are closer to 25-26.

When moving the computer into a different room (say 25' away) will cables do or do you need an extension box? How do handle one-off cd burns?
    I have 15' cables - 3 for VGA, then a USB 2 hub followed by 4 or 5 cables coming out of that, keyboard, mouse, etc. Works great. The video quality is a function of the line drivers in your video card and the LCD itself. My new dells look crisper and have less issue at 1280x1024 than my old NECs did at 1024x768.

The are a lot of "extendit" boxes out there. Some a pretty pricy. There's a new matrox card especially designed for this with 3 video carriers, USB, mouse, kb, etc. Don't know pricing, but it's worth a look.

As for CD burns... get an external USB CD rom burner with a power switch. Turn it on for a burn. Some are dead silent, others like the plextor are really noisy and you don't want them on unless burning. But that's how I do it.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Jim,

Yeah, it's way too noisy. That's why I need to address it. The computer/drives hide under the console... that knocks the noise down a little. A machine room would be ideal but I'm afraid that the build cost might rule it out and guess that I'd be spending another $500 on cables and an extender box on top of that.

Gary,

At this time the biggest heat generators in my studio are the clients apparently that's common with Ad guys... Does the Silence Case add to the heat generated in the room or is it just your computer? My FW drives get pretty warm but does the G4 really generate that much heat?

Jan,

That really holds a LOT of gear. Sounds like you've had a great deal of success. Thanks for the reassurance!

Anybody been able to compare the different kinds of isolation boxes on the market? I've seen at least 4 kinds on the web ranging from $700 to $3K.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast