Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mic pre comparison

Default mic pre comparison

Just curious. . .
    I received the John Hardy M-1 in the mail the other day, hooked it up, and was only able to spend about 30 minutes using it. In this short time, on an upright piano, I heard very little difference between them and the pres in the digi002.
    Have any of you guys found that an audible difference is harder to detect with certain sources? I had very little time, so I'm likely jumping the gun but where do you think I will hear the biggest difference?
    Again, I'm using the original a-d and d-a converters with the BM5a monitors.
    Thanks.
    James

Don't rush it. Sometimes it's an "Ah-Ha!" experience. Usually it's an acquired taste. You get to the mix a few weeks later and notice how easily things are gluing together.

The "Ah-Ha!" is nice when it happens. It's definitely worth shooting for.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Just start using the new pre...in a few weeks, when you plug into your Digi 002 for a quick comparison you'll feel like you are using a bad cable or something. Sometimes it's easier to detect a step down than a step up. I know that while my ear caught on to decent pres gradually, when i hear a mackie or even my RME Fireface pres the shortcomings are glaring.

The day I got the 3D pre CD I was sure my ear wasn't up to the task of critical listening. Now when I listen the differences are quite identifiable.

The M1 will make you happy...and soon, your Digi 002 will make you cringe.
    Shane Bushman - 3D-VIP
    Treehouse Productions
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Yea...after a certain price/quality point.It's the going back where you have the...Ah Ha!.
    Dennis Jones
    Technical Director
    WNCW-FM www.wncw.org
    3D Audio V.I.P.

David Klausner is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

One thing you may want to check out is to record a track through 2 different mics in two passes - one through the Hardys and one through the Digi002. Then compare how much difference you can hear between the two mics through each preamp. The odds are pretty good you'll hear more of a difference between the mics through the Hardy - you are getting more detail and more of the mics' individual characters that way. Once your ears have adjusted to these sorts of differences, it should be more apparent comparing a single mic through both preamps.

Just record yourself speaking a same passage or paragraph from a manual, or back of cereal box- whichever...something quick and easy...I did this when I upgraded my mic cables and I was blown away. If you can hear that much of a difference in 1 track...think of the difference with 12 or 16 or 24 accumulated tracks...

Default thanks david

Interesting tip--I will definitely try that, David.
    I guess I thought I would have heard more of a difference sooner--maybe I just wasn't looking in the right areas. There will be an update soon.
    Thanks for the replies everyone!
    James

On second thought, you might want to try something else.

When I first got my Focusrite 110s, the experience was transcendent. It was absolutely amazing. I wanted to go back and rerecord everything I had done for the past five years. It was NOT subtle at all.

If you're wanting a "Hallelujah!" experience, maybe you should keep searching, instead of trying to acquire a taste for what you bought.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Although there is such a thing as a delayed "Hallelujah!".

When I bought my Buzz MA2.2, I experienced a bit of a letdown the first couple of times I used it. It was nice...and I could tell it was better than my Mackies...but somehow I was expecting something bigger.

About a week into owning it, I remember plugging an electric 12-string into a Countryman DI box through the Buzz and all of a sudden--I got it. This sense of clarity and "thereness" that I had never heard before just jumped right out at me. It was almost like I had to learn to hear it, but once I had learned, it was obvious.

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

I dunno...there's been times when I heard a pre that I knew was different, had potential, but just didn't cause me to reach for the wallet...

Then there's the ones that make me laugh out loud with elation, because I found something that I KNOW is really special for what I want...

Perhaps what you are missing is the 'color' (whatever that means) missing from the Hardy...I've found the biggest A-HA moments come when comparing neutral/straightwire pres to those with a degree of coloration...

Just a guess...and its not a sin to not like a popular pre/mic/whatever...it all comes down to what YOU like, not what someone tells you to like...
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast