Thread: new gear. . .

Default new gear. . .

I was wanting to make a few purchases in the near future and was curious as to where you guys would put most of the money. I use the 002 rack with 2 channels of John Hardy M-1 preamps, two AT4040's, sm57's, an Audix i5, SM7, MD421, Dynaudio BM5a monitors, using the 002's onboard converters.
    So where would you go and why? What would help YOU, if you were in my situation, to make better recordings?
    Thanks for the help, folks.
    James

Practice your instrument? Seriously--you have plenty of good stuff if your recording space is ok.

Philip Perkins

Depends on what you're doing. If you're recording classical with that setup, I'd suggest something different than if you're recording folk music. More info, please.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Not really too much classical, but I'd like to be versatile. Folk, soft rock, maybe some scary stuff every now and then, reggae. . .
    Upright bass, violins, spoken word in the background--I don't record one style. Just looking for suggestions from people who have been here before.
    James

Maybe some fundamentals... ADC and DAC are the heart of digital audio, IMO. After a lot of comparisons I bought Lavry Blue AD/DA... that was a huge improvement, both directions.

No matter how good the mics and preamps... everything goes through the same AD, which just sits there and decides its interpretation of what your mic/pre signals are going to sound like. It might choose poorly....

Likewise the DA side filters everything that gets to your ears. Even if the performance, mics, pres and AD were great... the DA will still be the one that decides what and how you are going to hear all that great stuff, and how you will then mix it.

I wasted a lot of time and money buying gear that actually sounded a lot different than I thought it had, after I put decent conversion in. So, have to backpedal some now in a few places.

And my latest favorite... possibly even the best thing of all I have ever found for my AV systems -- online UPS with sinewave power. *That* is a remarkable solution to digital-ness.

Steve

As I look at your list, I notice three things I'd add.

Quality AD/DA would be one, for sure, as was mentioned.

A solid clock, depending on whether you get the converter first and the sound of its internal clock.

A pair of nice SDCs. KM-84 or SM-81 are the first that come to mind. DPAs would be awesome. When I bought one of the first pairs of 4006s when they came into the US, it allowed me a whole new realm of sonic possibilities compared to the meager collection of mics I had before that. Schoeps are highly regarded but I have little experience with them. On a budget, either a pair of A-T 4041s or 4051s would be a great addition.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.