Thread: At the Country Music Hall of Fame tonight...

Default At the Country Music Hall of Fame tonight...

I got to strum the acoustic guitar played on the intro to Roy Orbison's "Crying".

Owen Bradley's brother was the session musician on that date and he was showing the guitar (valued at $100k).

They were honoring some of the original A team players, engineers and producers. Many stories were told.

Boots was there (sax). Also Bill Porter one of the first top Nashville engineers.

JCJ

it was an interesting discussion; And the moderator was great! He was mostly able to keep the converstion flowing, and kept the drug and achohol stories to a minimum. (Shame about that...).

The main thing that the seminar left me reminded of a simple truth - Bill Porter was a great engineer, Chet and Owen (And Fred Foster) were great producers, but the magic of the Nashville Sound was (ans still is) in the musicians.
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    Java Jive Studio

Here's Harold Bradley with that guitar, a Stromberg. I wasn't as brave as John. I wouldn't even touch it.

And here's a picture of Harold and Bill Porter (on the left). Harold's laughing because Bill Porter just repositioned the mic to pick up the guitar. It was a moment.

I met Bill Porter before he left RCA in 1978. I was visiting Nashville trying to decide where I should go to pursue my recording career. Bill showed me around RCA Studio A and the first Neve I had ever seen. When my Dad saw what he was wearing, he knew I had found my place. "Jeans and a flannel shirt. I think my son will fit right in."

That was 26 years ago. I think my Dad was right.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

My favorite quote of the evening came from Bill Porter, spoken as only a 74 year old can.

"Don't do stupid stuff."

He was referring to a brilliant guitar player whose career was cut short at the age of 30 because he was speeding and lost control of his car and ran into a tree. This guy started doing sessions when he was 19. But the damage to his spine and motor control skills meant he'd never play sessions again.

Don't take things for granted.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

WOW!!! Brings back fond memories.

Ray Edenton was a great session guitar musician also.

Great time period for music and musicians. The creative diversities, skills and originality.

Drummers like Buddy Harmon, Willie Ackerman and Jerry Carrigan. So creative and stylish. Of course Willie always played by the seat of his pants. Harmon was an former jazz drummer that Jimmy Dickens picked up in NY at the Village, if that story is true.

Didn't Carrigan come from Muscle Shoals orignally? Seems like he was part of the original rythmn group for all that R&B. I remember he worked with Jerry Reed some in the early days.

You guys are so lucky.

Gettin' old ain't fun sometimes.
    Wayne Butler
    Studios at Pike Road

I was asleep by 9:30 DST. Thanks for the post guys.
    Dennis Jones
    Technical Director
    WNCW-FM www.wncw.org
    3D Audio V.I.P.

I was really sorry when I chipped that piece off the tuning end and made that white spot...

JCJ