Thread: Hardware Devices?

Default Hardware Devices?

The "Mixing in PT" thread put an interesting notion in my head...

Why doesn't anyone make outboard hardware processors/devices that can be plugged into a daw system via USB/Firewire and be digitally controlled from the daw?

Imagine having a Class A Comp or EQ that you can plug directly into a USB 2 port and control gain, threshold, freq or whatever from within the daw like a plugin without using a slow protocol like midi and without tying up your exisitng I/O hardware.

Insert it on a track and your audio goes into it digitally, is converted inside the unit to analog, processed in the analog domain for the flavor, converted back to digital and sent back out to the daw track. Analog processing under digital control. With (for good measure) it's internal latency reported back to the daw.

Does anything like that exist? Would that be a reasonable idea (assuming good internal converter quality)? Am I an idiot for even suggesting such a thing? I can plug my digital video camera in to a firewire port and get transport and editing control over the single cable.

Why can't we do that with a EQ or Compressor?

Lawrence

David Klausner is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Well, there are digital processors that can work that way, like the Eventide H8000FW. In a case like that, it's not that expensive to add a firewire interface to the already digital unit. There are analog units that are under digital control, that can be controlled via a plug in from software, like the Element 78 series from Summit, but in that case, the digital control was already part of the product.

To make a piece of analog hardware with a firewire interface and software control, it would have to have A/D and D/A converters built in, and all functions would have to be under software control. That sounds like it would add quite a lot to the price tag of a typical analog piece, especially for functions that a large percentage of purchasers of analog gear wouldn't use anyway. It's a neat idea, but I think in the long run, the cost would outweigh the benefits from the manufacturer's point of view.

Summit has a hardware eq that shows up as a plug-in in pro tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence
    Why doesn't anyone make outboard hardware processors/devices that can be plugged into a daw system via USB/Firewire and be digitally controlled from the daw?

Imagine having a Class A Comp or EQ that you can plug directly into a USB 2 port and control gain, threshold, freq or whatever from within the daw
    It's a good thought. Someone beat you to it.

http://www.3daudioinc.com/3db/showth...liquid+channel
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Cool Lynn. Hadn't heard of that.

Lawrence