Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown Monitor - Fix? or Replace???

Blown Monitor - Fix? or Replace???

I have been using a pair of Audix A1 monitors for about 4 years. I thought of them as a major upgrade to the Monitor 1's (original) I had before them.

I run them off of an Alesis RA100 amp (75watts RMS per side) and have been monitoring through a Mackie VLZ mixer (not the VLZ pro).

Seems I have blown a driver in one of the speakers.

I can replace both drivers (seems the way to go to get a perfecty match, since drivers age and mine are almost 5) for $150.

Should I bother fixing them?

If I do, should I get a Central Station or big know to replace the VLZ mixer? I assume this would be a major improvement.

Or should I just trash it all and get a new pair of active monitors. I have always thought the HR824s sounded great (much better than I feel my Audix sound). But will there be enough improvement to justify the cost?

Shane
    Shane Bushman - 3D-VIP
    Treehouse Productions
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Was it the tweeter?

If so, with careful inspection, you may be able to get a replacement (or a pair) from Madisound, from the manufacturer and bypass all the mark-up on them. If it is a vifa dome, madisound has the field replaceable voice coils. A buddy had some PB6.5 Tannoys and they use a D-20 vifa tweeter. Replacement for 2, 18 bucks from Madisound, replacement from tannoy?? $$$$$$$$

PS, sometimes a "great" sounding monitor smooths over some inner detail that can keep one from getting the best mix. Just a thought.

It was the woofer, but I only see AUDAX on the site...not Audix.

How can I find the direct reference #?

Shane
    Shane Bushman - 3D-VIP
    Treehouse Productions
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Originally posted by Category 5:
    <STRONG>It was the woofer, but I only see AUDAX on the site...not Audix.

How can I find the direct reference #?

Shane</STRONG>
    EDIT - I did find the part number for the woofer. It is a Vifa P17WJ-00-08 and it lists for only 40.90 on the Madisound site. Wow!

How can I find what tweeter it uses though. The only label on the tweeter says T656 and then (a Date I guess) - Apr 2996

There is no T656 I can find on the site or on the Vifa catalog.

Shane
    Shane Bushman - 3D-VIP
    Treehouse Productions
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

T656 sounds like a Seas part number. Do you have a dig camera and can take a couple of close ups of the tweeter, side/back/front?

Also, after 4 years of use, the resonant frequency of the original woofers have changed some (a little lower) so it may be best to replace them both at one time. I also find the vifa woofers will get stiff in colder weather...not that you would use them in a cold room.

For fun, take a look at the woofers at apexjr.com

Remember, I am a fan of using the correct unit.

Thanks Bill,

I will post some pics in a day or two.

What would you think about me replacing the drivers with the p17sj-00-08 instead of the p17wj-00-08.

It appears as though this is the shielded version of the same speaker, but some of the specs are different (ie coil resistance and free air resonance).

Would this require a differnt cabinet? Audix sells the 1A in a shielded version so I assumed they just used the shielded woofer.

I can get a deal on a pair of the shielded speakers, that's why i ask. $65.00 for the pair!

Shane
    Shane Bushman - 3D-VIP
    Treehouse Productions
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

I will look up the specs and try to describe what "difference" it will make. One thing to note, resonance frequency can be +/- 5% with two samples of the same part number. With this in mind, it is not exact science when bolting in a woofer. I suspect the QMS to be slightly different due to the shield magnet being present. The QMS is a byproduct of the motor forces (QES) as well.

It is a vifa woofer in the Mackie 824's. Apex Jr. had a "close out" on them for 50 a pair. The only real gripe I have of the Mackies is the passive radiator, loading out the rear. Not sutible for working within 2 feet of a wall IMHO. They tend to mix sounds "better" than what you actually have. In other speak, when you are "satisfied" with the sound coming from the Mackies, you still have a ways to go to get the mix "as tight as can be".

Thanks for the info Bill. Very helpful. I donlt need it now, but have stored it.
    regards,
    Mark
    Mark Kramer
    www.thejazzmall.com

formula to live by

Bill,

Here are some pictures of the tweeters being used.

Vifa has a couple of tweeters that seem to be commonly used with the LF drivers used here. Perhaps one of those would do nicely.

Is there a chance of a mismatch between the tweeters and the crossovers? I wish I knew what part they were using now. The Audix tech told me that the tweeters have changed. I can get them from him for $90 per pair, but now that you have shown me the light I am hesitant.

I did get a new Hafler P1500 amp to replace the RA100. I am expecting a big improvement. I will also get a central station. Now that i know the Vifa drivers are among the better 6 1/2" speakers, I am confident that the cloudiness is due to my amp and mixer.

The speakers were used when i got em, and the tweeters say 1996 so I figure changing all the drivers wouldn't be a bad idea. Essentially they'd be new speakers. I have a pair of Bose I use for alternate checking, but they are very colored.
    http://www.pbase.com/sbushman/image/36979354/large.jpg
    http://www.pbase.com/sbushman/image/36979356.jpg

Thanks,
    Shane
    Shane Bushman - 3D-VIP
    Treehouse Productions
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Just when I thought I could recognize it...I could not. Jeeze, I wonder who makes that bugger.....

Thank you for taking the time to post the pictures. Even the VC does not look "field replacable"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast