Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mic CD

Kevin Perry is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Dang it Irwin! Between you and Lynn, you guys are gonna end up makin me get hold of some of Myteks to listen to. Then I'm gonna end up laying down my wallet to buy them.

Thanx a lot...
    Kevin Perry
    Chameleon Music
    Nashville, TN

Kevin,

If you want to know from an unbiased source, i.e. someone who doesn't own them, then ask George Cumbee what he thought of them when I took my Mytek 8x96 DAC over to Classic for him to hear. Hopefully, he'll chime in here because he definitely had an opinion. As a matter of fact, he wanted them back this week to make sure he really heard as big a difference as he remembered hearing.

Originally posted by Irwin Shur:
    <STRONG>I was absolutely stunned by the change I could hear when I replaced the stock converters on my Mackie d8b with a set of Myteks. It's not so much each individual track, but everything just blossoms when you have a number of tracks--the effect is cumulative.

Even more amazing was the difference just using the Mytek's wordclock as the master instead of the Apogee card in the Mackie. Very noticeable difference in soundstage and clarity. And it's not just me--there were two other engineers (both experienced professionals, unlike me) who also were astounded at how noticeable it was. We also A/B'ed to a MOTU 1296--it sounded a bit better than the Mackie, although it was close, but the Mytek was leagues better.

Anyway, I figure if I can hear this stuff, you can too.</STRONG>
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

That's what he said, Lynn, but it might be just an excuse for George to get them back in his studio for awhile!

I'm not unbiased by Lynn's definition, but I will say my Mytek has made a big difference for me...both AD and DA. And clocking to it does good things for my other gear, too.

John

Originally posted by 3D Audio Inc.:
    <STRONG>he wanted them back this week to make sure he really heard as big a difference as he remembered hearing.

</STRONG>

Allow me to beat a dead horse...
    You can ruin a fine performance with crappy engineering. You can't "polish a turd" though. Great music production starts with great songs/performances in the 1st place, then followed by fine engineering.
    I humbly state, however, that with the technology today, it is quite possible to do great things without utilizing the most expensive equiptment. I sincerely doubt that the Beatles would have been any more influential singing thru a Manley Gold Reference than what they did.
    I currently operate a home-based facility around a Roland VS series DAW with a few select pieces of outboard. I know that with -EXPERIENCE- I will eventually have the ability to make great productions...as long as I have the available talent. Otherwise they will simply be lumped in with all the other mediocre stuff being put out these days.

T. Alan
    T. Alan

punoSSound
    La Salle, IL

Record production for the financially challenged

a wise man once told me; SISO

i believe that culminates all that has been said here.

sh*t in, sh*t out.

-stef

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: synesthesia ]

Lynn is exactly right. I was sure that the first time something else had to be different. There couldn't be that much difference. But on the second try I had to admit that there was a difference. I really did not want to hear any, but I did. For me it was like 'night and day'. All I did was monitor from the Mytek via an AES feed from my 888. Man...

Now I have to deal with knowing how much it changed what I was hearing and how much it would change how I mix things. I thought what I was hearing was as good as it could be for what I had. I was wrong. It could be much better.

So I guess I know what I'll have to consider buying as soon as I can.

George
    Classic Recording, Franklin, TN www.classicrecording.com
    George Cumbee, Pres
    Audio Creations Inc., Paducah, KY
    ClassicRecording, Franklin, TN
    www.classicrecording.com

Kevin Perry is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    You have my wallet scared to listen to these....
    Kevin Perry
    Chameleon Music
    Nashville, TN

Well, maybe you can't. But you can sure make a decent living trying. Lots of engineers do it daily.

I always say "I may not be able to get you a high-gloss shine, but I can give it a very professional matte finish."

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith:
    <STRONG>You can't "polish a turd" though.</STRONG>
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

one of my favorite things these days is to pull out the mic cd and play a few samples for clients. you would not believe how many people choose the sm57 over the telefunken ela-m251. the cd sure opened my eyes to a few things. i pull it out over and over to listen to very specific aspects of certain mics -what a great resource, and mucho thanks to lynn and co, for putting this thing together.
    jnorman
    sunridge studios
    salem, oregon

btw, have you guys seen the microphone collection put together by L. Ron Hubbard? check this - http://www.ronthemusicmaker.org/studio4.htm
    jnorman
    sunridge studios
    salem, oregon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast