Thread: Nuendo vs PT LE single file playback

Default Nuendo vs PT LE single file playback

Here is an interessting experiment we made.
    We have a PC running Nuendo 3.0.2 AND PT LE 7.1 with the Music Production Toolkit at the same time.
    Nuendo was using an RME HDSP 9632 and LE a DIGI002 as audio hardware.
    We took the same file (a stereo mix we did) and played it from the TOSLINK of the 002 and the coaxial S/PDIF of the 9632 into the same converter, a RME ADI-2 at 44.1k.
    The ADI-2 has a switch at the front so you can change between optical and coaxial S/PDIF input, enabling us to rapidly switch between Nuendo and PTLE.

Now, both faders in the respective programs were at 0, the file was the same, with the difference being PTLE cannot play stereo interleaved files and Nuendo can.

The observation we made was that you can tell blindly, which program you are using as your playback engine, we had someone toggle the switch on the ADI-2 a lot, so we didn't know what was playing any more, and then listened to the playback and could very soon tell with 100% accuracy if PTLE or Nuendo were playing.

To me Nuendo had fuller, tighter bass and PTLE slightly more aggressive upper midrange, sounding more like your average radio-pop/rock record.

Anyone made similar observations?

Cheers,
    raphbaph

Quote Originally Posted by raphbaph View Post
    Anyone made similar observations?
    I know I've seen the digital outputs of both systems completely null making me highly doubt the results of your test unless there's a problem with your D/A.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Default stereo interleaved

hi!

well that would be an interessting test to then phasereverse output of daw a and and it to output of daw b.
    didn't do that yet.

protools cannot play back stereo files in interleaved mode, it needs to convert them to split stereo files.

protools cannot play back stereo files in interleaved mode, it needs to convert them to split stereo files.
    It is true that PT can have stereo tracks but will only play back mono files. Even if they are two mono files (.L and .R) derived from a stereo interleaved file. It must convert stereo interleaved files to dual mono upon import.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

PTLE slightly more aggressive upper midrange, sounding more like your average radio-pop/rock record.
    Strangely enough I found that to be true when I re-mixed a Cubase song with PTLE. I attributed it to just being a different mix at a different time or how I reacted to the interface.

Lawrence