Thread: Tube Tech CL1b - worth it for vocals?

Default Tube Tech CL1b - worth it for vocals?

Perhaps a tough question. One channel - $2000+. Is it really worth it for vocals? If it was two channels, the answer would be easy. But is there anything else close to the sound of the CL1B that is a better value?

OR does the CL1B really stand out so much, that it is worth this price?

Any comments?

THANKS.
    AB
    3daudio VIP

Yep - it's that good.

I have three of them.
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    Java Jive Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
    Yep - it's that good.

I have three of them.
    Dave is the Compressor King. I always rib him that if I didn't have 5 kids I could afford that many compressors too.

But he's right. I paid $1250 for mine new in 1985. But it's worth every bit of $2000, even if for nothing other than vocals.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

...And I didn't even mention that it's also worth that price for bass alone...
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    Java Jive Studio

I covet one of these, too.

At the European AES, I played with Tube Tech's multi-band compressor. I was absolutely blown away. They had a piece of jazz-fusion music playing, and you could just sit there and play with the thing. You have to imagine it much more like a mixing console itself than a compressor! I was able to basically remix the entire piece -- bring the snare forward or back, focus the guitar, make the drums punch, layback on the bass, etc., all from just the 2 mix! I was so impressed with this device.

TubeTech makes a pre + multiband single channel strip, but even though I know where I could get one cheap, I don't trust myself with a MB compressor on a tracking date.

I played with that CL1B, too. And, yea, it's a great piece. At $2k its a steal, honestly. They really make some nice stuff...
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Thanks. I feel much more confident in the purchase now. There is really no place close to where I live to check it out.

Warm regards,
    AB
    3daudio VIP

I know my LA-2A is worth it just for vocals and bass guitar, and many here say the Tube Tech is more versatile. So...I would definitely consider it at $2000 +. The LA-2A is going to cost more than that, and possibly be less versatile. FWIW, I've never used the Tube Tech.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

I just finished doing a test on bass between a UA reissue 1176 and Tube Tech (thanks to Dave Martin for some guidance on this). The bass player and I both prefered the character of the 1176. Simply put, 1176 has a sound, the Tube Tech is clean.

I know that's wrong. I know the Tube Tech really has a certain sound, but I can't hear it yet. That said, I tried it on vocals the other day and it whooped the 1176, which means a lot coming from me since I'm a huge fan of 1176 on vocals.

Also, in another test last month, a buddy of mine did a comparison on bass with his reissue LA2A and the Tube Tech. I had always heard they were similar, but we did not find that to be true at all. Again, the LA2A seemed to impart much more character than the Tube Tech.

After the tests I did on bass, I thought I'd probably sell the Tube Tech, but when I heard what it did on vocals I decided to keep it. So my opinion is, yes, it's worth it for vocals especially.

Jasper

All of the Tube tech stuff I have used has been really wonderful.

Wish I could afford it. Just used it in other studios.

Great gear!

-jp

Funny, I just ran across this thread via Google. I'm never short of opinions, I notice.

I can describe the Tube Tech a little better now. Buttery. Smooth, rich... buttery.

That said, it's always hard to describe sound.

Jasper
    PS -- And now the I notice the CL1B cost closer to $3,000.
    SD mic shootout article from Tape Op is now online
    SDC Shootout