Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back from LA

Back from LA

Well, I got back last night. It was a wonderful trip and an amazing session. I have some work to catch up on today, but hopefully will be able to give a full report within the next few days.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. It was a memorable experience. And I got some great pictures.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Lynn,

That was quick!

Bill

Originally posted by Bill Park:
    <STRONG>Lynn,

That was quick!
    </STRONG>
    I flew out Sunday morning. Got into LA at 3 PM. The exec producer and I did a "dry run" over to Paramount to make sure we didn't lost the morning of the session. After that was dinner with friends. Sleep.

I was up at 5 AM, and we headed to the studio at 7 AM. Downbeat at 11. Lunch at 2. Finished at 7:30. Ribs at Houstons and then in bed by midnight.

Hopped back onto a plane at 11AM on Tuesday morning and was back here last night by 11PM. (One of my flights was cancelled and I was rerouted with an additional 1.5 hour layover in Atlanta.)

So, yes, it was fast. But it was very good.

I learned a lot.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

great! looking forward to seeing the pictures, and some details on your setup.
    jnorman
    sunridge studios
    salem, oregon

Here's a few pictures. I also put together a 5M QuickTime movie (slide show really) I'll be posting soon.

Here's what it looks like sitting at the Neve VRP 96 at Paramount looking into the studio.

Here's the room with the players during a rundown. You can see the Decca Tree over the conductor's head. You can't see the violins or harp player to the conductor's left. The french horns are directly beyond the conductor in this photo. The wind players are behind the violists right in the center of the photo. Far left rear of the room is the most excellent tympanist, Vanessa, with the remaining percussion behind the baffles behind the woodwinds. Beyond the double basses in this picture are the trombones and the trumpets are behind them.

Here's the left side of the room where you can see the violinists. In this shot you can clearly see both of the front microphones on tall stands (TLM-170s), that were used to broaden the sound pickup from the Decca Tree.

And here's me, honored and humbled to be sitting at the helm in such a wonderful historic soundstage as this.

[ July 10, 2003: Message edited by: 3D Audio Inc. ]
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Kevin Perry is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    In this situation does the producer determine the "setup" for the orchestra? (Who goes where?) And then you mic it up according to his plot map? I'd love to hear more about the setup process as it would seem that is half the battle.
    Kevin Perry
    Chameleon Music
    Nashville, TN

That depends on the producer and the orchestration. I always consult with the producer concerning the setup and room layout. This session was no different. I faxed a copy of the room layout the week before the session for his approval.

I have to give credit to the staff at Paramount for helping in determining the layout. I was at a bit of a handicap since I was never going to see the room or hear it until 3 hours before the downbeat. So I relied heavily on their input for this setup. More about them and their excellent help later.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

I've never done this before, so I'm not sure I'm doing it right. This is a ~1M Quick Time movie with no sound. You'll need Quick Time player to view it.

Let me know if it works.

Lynn in LA slide show

(Apple's iPhoto software at work. How easy can it be?)

[ July 10, 2003: Message edited by: 3D Audio Inc. ]
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Hi Lynn,

If you intended to to a "picture slideshow", then it works..if the intention was to do a "real movie", then I couldnīt get it to work..!!

Thanks for sharing lynn..very kind of you..

Kind regards

Peter
    Tubes! Making people sucessful in a changing world!

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field

"If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing."

Originally posted by axis:
    <STRONG>Hi Lynn,

If you intended to to a "picture slideshow", then it works..if the intention was to do a "real movie", then I couldnīt get it to work..!!
    </STRONG>
    Sorry. No, it's all stills. I changed it to slide show in the description. Call it "What I did on my one-day LA vacation."
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast