Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WOW!!! only $13k instead of $18k!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
    I wonder why it is so expensive, must be trying to get return on R and D.

If you think about it, it's only a mic, preamp and A-D.....

Mic $2500
    Mono Preamp $1500
    A-D $1000
    There are boxes out there with preamps and ADs that sell for under $200. The remote control aspect of the clocking, sampling rates, PC control are the cool part and I'm sure drove the development cost up.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

What's the actual street price of this mic? Remember MAP vs. Actual...
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dugger View Post
    What's the actual street price of this mic? Remember MAP vs. Actual...
    Street price for the single mic is about 4150,- in Europe.

Best regards
    Andreas Lassak
    SoundDesign Studio

It's maddening: As soon as I make it right - it suddenly works!

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Lassak View Post
    Street price for the single mic is about 4150,- in Europe.
    I'm not defending Neuman -- I don't own one nor have plans to buy one.

But, at under $5k for the Solution D, it's not priced *that* bad. And, name any other signal chain that gets you a 130db dynamic range, including mic!

Figure $2.5k for a mic, 1k for Preamp and 1k for converter, and it's not horribly overpriced.

Expensive, yes. Worth it? Certainly worth debate. Completely out of bounds on actual street price for what you get? No.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dugger View Post
    I'm not defending Neuman -- I don't own one nor have plans to buy one.

But, at under $5k for the Solution D, it's not priced *that* bad. And, name any other signal chain that gets you a 130db dynamic range, including mic!
    No.
    Man, is that a big difference between MAP and street price, wow . I was expecting more around 9k for street price. They probably were not getting to many engineers biting at the MAP or street price.

Cheers,
    Bryan
    Masterplan Mastering
    Analog & Digital Mastering
    Waterloo,IL

Quote Originally Posted by bwmusc View Post
    Man, is that a big difference between MAP and street price, wow . I was expecting more around 9k for street price.
    Bryan, let's compare apples to apples.

I'm not defending Neumann either but, just for the record, I talked about the street price for the single mic. (MAP 4700,- afaik)

There is also the D-01 Mono-Set (MAP 9800,- afaik) Incl. Interface DMI-2, Remote Control Software RCS, Elastic Suspension EA2, Converter USB 485, USB-Kabel, RJ 45 Patch-Cord, BNC-Cord, XLR-Cord, Power-Cord.

And finally the D-01 Stereo-Set Doug mentioned in his initial post (MAP 13700,- afaik)

I don't know the street prices for the sets yet.

Best regards
    Andreas
    Andreas Lassak
    SoundDesign Studio

It's maddening: As soon as I make it right - it suddenly works!

Sorry Andreas, I miss read your post. Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers,
    Bryan
    Masterplan Mastering
    Analog & Digital Mastering
    Waterloo,IL

Quote Originally Posted by DonM View Post
    Very funny, I guess for me the question is...

Let's see over 300 Million iPods against how many of these mics will return us to fidelity over quantitiy.....
    See... that is such a flawed thought process on so many levels it actually makes me question why you are in the recording business. How many more cassette decks are there than iPods? Did people stop giving a damn about their audio when cassettes started to outsell vinyl?

No, they did not.

The reason you go for higher end microphones, pre-amps, and tools in general is because you care about the overall quality of the presentation. By saying there is no reason to explore tools like better microphones because the end product will probably be played on an iPod means you have lost the game before it has begun.

WE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO CARE ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE AUDIO!!!

WE are the people who are supposed to care about tone, texture, subtlety and nuance. We are the ones entrusted to guide the audio to where it supports the artist's creative vision of where the music should sit.

You can tell the difference between well recorded work and poorly recorded work even through an iPod... so for you to question the need for, or return on investment for quality tools makes me question your motivations as well as your sincerity to the craft, the artists' with whom you work, as well as your dedication to wringing every last ounce of real emotion from an artists' performance.

As for the "Solution-D"... lets hope it is this version of Neumann's only step toward the final solution... they did such a bang up job of getting the message across last time someone in Berlin felt the need for a final solution we can only hope that round silver turd stays in its current form and can not be used to influence the masses [due to its lack of depth, detail, and lack of range of emotional fortification... which are all elements found in exceptional recording tools].

Peace.
    Fletcher
    Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:
    Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light

Welcome back Fletch!!! I don't know anything about the mic;but, I agree with all else.
    Dennis Jones
    Technical Director
    WNCW-FM www.wncw.org
    3D Audio V.I.P.

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by bwmusc View Post
    ... do keep in mind that I heard this at Ocean Way (Nash) in their live room. They were having a mic convention with about 7 or 8 manufactures and there was about 50 some people in there, sfwtw.
    I was there, too. I was much more impressed with the promise than with the mic itself. If you look at the whole new AES spec, plus the control possibilities, there could be some serious stuff coming from this product line in the future. The mic itself sounded 'wrong', like something was out of adjustment, so I chalked it up to a new technology pilot error issue, and reserve judgement.

Out of the Neumann offerings, the 27 sounded best to me. I don't know why, as they said that it is the 103 with multiple patterns, but that day in that room, it did not sound like the 103 to me.

Bill
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast